first bow purchase advice - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Scrub Buck

Default first bow purchase advice

im am 15 years old and i am looking to buy my first bow and i dont want to spend that much money like 400 total and i want to be able to grow with it so i can use it for more that a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM

Hey hunter512 I'm in the same boat as you cuz I am looking for a new bow as well. I've checked out used bows with all the pieces attached (sight pins, arrow holder, quiver, etc.) and some brand new bows with out the pieces for about the same price range that you're in. But just hang in there you'll get some good info from the others as soon as they read this. You got alot of time ahead of you, at 31 I'm just starting out in the bow hunting phenom. And welcome to the site were glad to have you aboard.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
B&C 160 Class

hey HUNTER512

Welcome, don't have an answer for your question because selecting a bow goes so much by individual feel. I think at your age finding a bow to grow with may be a bit difficult due to the draw length and weight change over the next few years. I really would suggest that you go to a pro shop. First have them check you draw length and then let you try a few bows set at different draw weights. Once you know your draw length and comfortable draw weight then you could check to see which manufacturer makes a bow in your range. Ensuring you have the proper draw length and weights will help prevent bad habits from forming as you learn, form and/or angles a bow is held at are critical to accuracy.

Try as many bows as you can in your range and simply pick the one that feels best to you. This is very subjective but try to find one you feel comfortable with. Then practice, practice,practice and then practice some more. Hope this helps and good luck!!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM

Hello, I also am a big propponet of pro shops. You might get some valuable insight by going to Cabela's letting them know that you are new to bow hunting and need measured for draw length, comfortable draw weight and available models. You really need to shoot as any bows as you can to see which one fits like a good glove.. Unfortunately, you are going to outgrow your bow quickly. You do have some options like buying a bow that the draw length can be change with out buying new cams. Cams go for around 30 bucks so if the draw length can be changed up to 1-2" you will extend the bow fit for a couple of years, by then you most likely will be hooked and look for a new bow. I would stick with a single cam bow with a modest cam design and not an agressive cam as they are more difficult to draw and are really outdated in todays new designs. By agressive I mean a cam that looks like a big "D" shape vs a more "O" round looking cam. Good package bows for youths are a good starter bow and at around $300.00 should give you 2 years of use then sell it and upgrade when you can. Start out using a mechanical release and a good sight and you will well be on your way to the wonderful world of bow hunting. Good Luck.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Advise on youth bow

I bought my nephew a martin jaguar after taking him to a bow pro. The martin jaguar is a very universal bow. the draw weight for beginers starts from 18 - 45 lbs. you get 3 sets of cams for it. The bow will grow with you. In Ohio the minimum draw weight your aloud to hunt with is 40lbs. Darren is 12 years old now. The pro said he will be able to hunt with this bow till well after he is 18. The kit cost me $283.00 new. It came with 3 upgade cams, wrenches, quiver, front site and peep, release string if needed but darren don't like using a release,he got 2 weeks shooting leasons, it was a good deal and it's a great bow. The worse part about this purchase was it took 6 weeks to get after ordered. I recomend talking with a pro. You can get a pretty good deal for your money if you shop around pro shops.

Good Luck.