Long axle bow vs. short - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Long axle bow vs. short

Is it easier to draw a long axle bow than a short axle? Or do you think it makes any difference? I'm short so i have always liked the shorter axle bows. I've also got a weak shoulder due to an old injury so my Max draw weight is 42 pounds. We were shotting with some relatives this morning and hubby insisted I pull back his cousin's Rally. Holy cow at 45 pounds it felt like nothing. The Rally is 37 inches axle to axle and my Craze and PSE Stiletto are alot shorter at 28 inches and 29 3/4 inches. Just thought is see what everyone's opinion is on this. Maybe the Rally is just easier to draw. Maybe it was just me? I don't know. Or maybe I just ate my wheaties this morning.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM

Well there are mixed views on this subject. It has more to do with the cam design and brace height, distance from the string to the riser, I believe than anything else. The more the cam is elongated away from a circle/round wheel design the more aggressive the draw cycle will be. It is also true that single cam bows draw easier than two cam bows. With all that said i believe that a lot of new bows are so improved that a short bow with a mild cam that shoots relatively quick can be found for you. Many years ago there was support that longer bows were more forgiving for shooters that didn't have the most perfect form. I shot a 38" bow at that time. Improvements come every year that help shooters like yourself to find bows that can be shot well. Another item to check out is, if legal for you, and with shoulder problems like me, I have switched to a crossbow with very good results. It keeps me in the woods for archery season. Hope this helps some.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM
B&C 120 Class

My PSE Stiletto shoots pretty quick for a short draw bow so im very happy with it. I was just curious about the difference. They did make crossbows legal in Kansas so i would like to get one to try. I think a crossbow would get my kids out in the woods after deer more too. They just don't quite have enough strength to use a compound bow on deer yet. A crossbow would let them be able to hunt during our early archery season when the weather's not to cold yet.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 AM

KD
I was in the same boat
My Hoyt Rampage XT is a 32" ATA is very fast accurate & light but with the very aggressive cams I have to be in top shape to draw it had a shoulder injury 2 years ago & almost gave up that season like HM stated it is mostly the cam design that affects how hard or easy it is to draw not the length of the bow
longer brace heights affect this also shorter brace heights will be harder to draw less forgiving on a "not so good shot" but are generally faster
I would look for a bow with a brace height of around 7" & mild cams
don't get stuck in the name game get a bow that is comfortable for you & try as many as you can

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 AM
B&C 120 Class

This past month's Field & Stream magazine has a really good article that addresses some myths and misconceptions about bows. 3 guys took either 4 or 5 top ranked bows and put them through rigorous testing as to the effects of longer vs shorter, longer or shorter stabilizers, fall away vs biscuit rests, brace height(this was especially interesting) effects of bow length on ease of draw, etc. I looked on their website for the article but couldn't find it, my magazine got tossed by mistake. Perhaps those of you not electronically challenged like myself(that would be everyone) could find it there, or look at a news stand for a copy. Best bow test I've seen where the effects of the different components are compared.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 AM

TLF is this it?
Do Longer Brace Heights Make Bows More Forgiving? | Field & Stream

I will say that I agree the whisker biscuit is just as accurate BUT have seen a lot of issues with the Biscuit damaging Fletches. Only reason why I went to a dropaway

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 07-01-2013 at 07:45 AM.