Stand placement - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Stand placement

Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself.I hunt in Arkansas and wanted to know how high does everyone get in the tree while bowhunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Welcome to the site.. I tend to get as high as my stomach will allow during bow. Not really that high but I do try to get a several feet higher than I do with a gun. I am probably 14 to 15 ft with a gun. I usually just try to find a better tree during bow that will allow me to get 18 ft or so.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
B&C 120 Class

18-20 ft for me works. I have a 15ft treestand and was picked off in it. That stand comes down in the spring with another 4 ft extension going on it. I think 15 footers are ok if your up on a knoll or high point.
Most experts say 18-20 ft gets you above there line of site but if that height makes you uncomfortable then you will most likely not be effective when the critical time comes. Go 12-15 ft up but set up on the high spots if able.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 PM
B&C 180 Class

i take my climber up to 20" after that the angle is too steep for the shots i like to take if im rifle hunting ill go higher just to see better
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Scrub Buck

Default higher the better

personally I like to be between 30 and 40 feet. It gets you out of the deers periphreal vision. It let's you move a little more and it'll help disperse your scent more before it reaches there noses. I'm not saying you don't have to worry about movement or scent but i promise it will help with both. most deer when they look up really only look up to about a 15 to 20 ft level. If you've positioned your stand right this won't effect the angles of your shots. You're going to be 15-20 yards from where they are going to be coming from. So, you'll be shooting at roughly between a 30 and 45 degree shot. Either way I promise you'll see more deer. And If the angle does make you nervous just practice from an eleveted spot at different angles. I'm fortunate at having a flat roof on my house thats 32 ft. I can shoot off of it and position my targets at all sorts of distances and angles.

Last edited by bigcnybucks; 01-09-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Scrub Buck

Default how high

for sure higher is better,but dont forget if you have asetup with great back drop,dark pines etc,15 or 16 feet is great.deer are poor at picking you out with a good back drop.providing you DONT MOVE.then the gig is up.ive had them 10 feet from me on the ground with a dark back drop.it works.ive found that when im lower to the ground to pay closer attention to your scent.beat the nose and its to yuor addvantage.i hunt in maine and its thick and nasty so alot of times i like getting high to watch the tops of cover move when the deer arte moving in my direction.its a cool trick.good luck and happy hunting
Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Scrub Buck

I try to go at least 20/25 ft up so I can stay above the deers scent range, also I can see things a lil better.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM

I go all the way to the top of my ladderstand 15'. With proper scent elimination good cover backdrop and wind direction observation you really don't need to go any higher. Archers reduce the kill zone area by increasing the shot angle by going to high, which is not a good thing. This small shot angle requires accuracy far greater than a lower shot angle. I have not had a deer scent me in many many years at the 15' height. Remember hunting is about choise, we get to do what we want and what works for us. That's the fun part of hunting. Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Scrub Buck

I hunt in different stands. And it kinda depends on the terrain. I hunt in a places where I am on top of a hill, and I don't have to hunt that high Maybe 12 to 15 feet. and I hunt on side hills, where I prefer to get a little higher. Maybe 18 to 20 feet. I take a lot of time to take care of scent control. I wash my clothes in scent killing detergent, I have the dream season suit. Pants and Jacket. It works pretty well. The deer seem to be more comfortable around me since I have been wearing it. So I say it depends on terrain, thermals, and wind direction, and comfort with heights. But no matter what your height, I make sure to wear my safety harness. Good luck and good huntin.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

I, too, am a new hunter in Arkansas. This is my first season and I have certainly scared off a few deer this year. My problem is movement. This may sound like a rather juvenile question, but how am I supposed to look around if I don't move? Two other quesitons: First, by moving farther up the tree, am I not shortening the circumference of my shooting range? My father (God love him) tried to tell me that 20 yds is the same from the ground or 20 ft. up in a tree. Second, he someone also told me that arrows tend to rise a little during the shot. This seems rather counterintuitive to me. I've never shots consistently rise during targets...why should they when hunting from elevation?