yet another new bowhunter - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Scrub Buck

Default yet another new bowhunter

i have spent the last week reading on bow hunting, getting info. i decided on the pse coyote recurve after trying 5 different compound and 3 recurves. it is a good price and felt right when i held it. the problems i found online is that every few splinter after a few hundred shots, but the limited lifetime warrenty covers that. after shooting both styles i used a 29" draw length and 65lb weight, the recurves ranged from 50-60 and i liked the 55lb most. as for the laws and regs i am military so they change on me from post to post but i have the full regs for them.

i would like some tips and practice exercises for stalking and tracking deer mainly whitetail if you can help. thank you for reading and i hope to hear from you all soon :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for joining up. Maybe some of the other members can give you some good tips on stalking. I very rarely do it and am not that sucessful when i do attempt it. I hunt just woods and have found I have to little patience when not in the treestand. When I am sitting in a tree I can sit all day. When I am on the ground my hyper activity sets in. I move to quick and get bored easy.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Scrub Buck

i hope to learn some good habits to keep if anyone has any tips
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Scrub Buck

i am still relativley new at bow hunting myself, but the best option i can think of for stalking is knowing deer patterns. You can use stealth cams as well as visual obsrervation like tree stands or finding rubs. I wouldnt mind getting more tips myself, because i know only the tip of the iceberg of bowhunting. And this is probably an obvious one, but when stalking, use muffled clothing and walk against the windthe wind.

Last edited by brentskee; 12-12-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM

Move very, very slow and make sure you have examined every bit of the forest before you take a step. Step soft and slow. Walk into the wind. It should take you a couple hours to go about 200 yards or so if you want to be extreme about stalking.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Scrub Buck

[quote=timberghost;7031] "Walk into the wind". i am a bit dislexia, and get my words mixed up. timber ghost has got it right

Last edited by brentskee; 12-12-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Scrub Buck

it shouldn't be any harder than sniper school then
Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 AM

Hey trig009 you might be a real good stalker if you've had high level military training. I know nothing about the military but I'm assuming that your taught to move slowly and quietly and all that right? Much respect for you too for being a military man!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Scrub Buck

thank you for supporting us. we are like every one else, just doing our job. and sniper school isnt that high a level of training, if you go to a sniper unit that is were the crazy is.

i just want a challenge when hunting and also to be able to get my boots dirty
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM
B&C 180 Class

hey trig just wanted to say hello and welcome to the campfire.service members get to drink for free thanks for your service you got questions feel free to ask anything.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky