Deer Hunting Forums banner

yet another new bowhunter

7K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
i have spent the last week reading on bow hunting, getting info. i decided on the pse coyote recurve after trying 5 different compound and 3 recurves. it is a good price and felt right when i held it. the problems i found online is that every few splinter after a few hundred shots, but the limited lifetime warrenty covers that. after shooting both styles i used a 29" draw length and 65lb weight, the recurves ranged from 50-60 and i liked the 55lb most. as for the laws and regs i am military so they change on me from post to post but i have the full regs for them.

i would like some tips and practice exercises for stalking and tracking deer mainly whitetail if you can help. thank you for reading and i hope to hear from you all soon :)

#2 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for joining up. Maybe some of the other members can give you some good tips on stalking. I very rarely do it and am not that sucessful when i do attempt it. I hunt just woods and have found I have to little patience when not in the treestand. When I am sitting in a tree I can sit all day. When I am on the ground my hyper activity sets in. I move to quick and get bored easy.

#4 · (Edited)
i am still relativley new at bow hunting myself, but the best option i can think of for stalking is knowing deer patterns. You can use stealth cams as well as visual obsrervation like tree stands or finding rubs. I wouldnt mind getting more tips myself, because i know only the tip of the iceberg of bowhunting. And this is probably an obvious one, but when stalking, use muffled clothing and walk against the windthe wind.

#9 ·
thank you for supporting us. we are like every one else, just doing our job. and sniper school isnt that high a level of training, if you go to a sniper unit that is were the crazy is.

i just want a challenge when hunting and also to be able to get my boots dirty

#10 ·
hey trig just wanted to say hello and welcome to the campfire.service members get to drink for free:wink: thanks for your service you got questions feel free to ask anything.

#12 ·
no problem,glad to help

#15 ·
my thoughts on recurves is dont get cought up practicing your shots from any given yardage shoot from a spot take a step or two and shoot again this will help you become instinctive and if you get lucky enough while stalking and jump one up you will stand a better chance at a snap shot !good luck &let us know how it goes.

#16 ·
thanks for the advice and greetings from everyone. so i went out and bought my first set of arrows and it totaled $170 that is insane, then i forgot about the inserts for the shafts. at least i don't have to re-buy anything, any advice on things i might have missed on equipment before i go broke on gas. :wallbash:

1-bow
2-arrows w/ fletchings, heads, and soon inserts
3-arrow rest
4-braided wrist thingy so i don't drop it
5-quiver
6-target heads

thank you all for the help

#19 ·
I started out shooting with a hand me down ben pearson bow.its white and orange and you put the arrowss on the grip to shoot ,Havent used it in years it was given to me by a good friend who recently passed away.He lived for deer hunting he was a NY fire fighter back in the day befor scott packs etc,anyway i was tought that you visualize and pick a spot.ya know what i could shoot bulls eyes all day then i got a hand me down compound ya know the kind with no let off all aluminum.no fancy sights ,rest etc.ya know what it killed deer dead.I think its a disgrace to charge 800 $ for a bare bow by the time your done its a grand .Thats alot of money if its not more power to ya.i learned bare hand and i still believ everyone should learn the basics.sorry to rant but im disgusted with the industry

#20 ·
i don't know much about the industry yet, but my grandpa and i always went survival camping when i was a kid and i loved it. since then i always wanted to hunt, for me hunting means to use your head and skill to out wit the animal not buy all the best equipment to make it easier. if i wanted an easy kill i would just get one of the M24's from the ams room and shoot from 1,000m. anyway i cant wait to go and have some fun, in the off season i am joining the on post archery club so i can work on form and build good habits.

#21 · (Edited)
bruce thank you for the link, that is a little much to carry. i want to keep my ruck under 90lb lol. that seams like the complete list if you are using a stand and lure. i think you should have that link as a sticky so it is always on top of the threads, it is the biggest help for the new people who aren't sure if they have all the equipment (like me)

i have a quick question for anyone who can answer. is there anyway that you can make the sounds realistic enough with your mouth and hands for hunting white tail?

#24 ·
I think everyone tries that at one time or another.dang TV hunting shows are brainwashing us:wacko:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.