The big boy - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Greg44adams

Default The big boy

My dad shot a 150 9 point which he thought was a pocket rocket. The deer fell rolled down the hill from his tree stand to mine. The deer layed in the road finally lowering his head like he was dead. After two mins of watching him he sprang back to life and ran past me. We gave it 20 mins because the rain was coming and track him 300 yards to where he was standing behind a hill and a beach tree. We kept a light on him as it appeared his right front leg was not functioning well. The deer tried to go up the hill 3 times finally making it. The washed blood away and now we are stuck. We hunt in a valley field in a old reclaim spot. The blood had bubbles in it. The deer could have went up on got on a high wall that leads a long ways around or , went back left to where he got shot at, or could have went straight up the hill. Please help I hate that the deer may not be recovered and go to waste. Ps we searched high low about everywhere we could get to. Please help
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 09:51 PM

pretty hard to tell what happened not being there. If I had to guess: your dad broke the front leg causing the buck to fall and possibly knocked him out as he fell down hill. Most likely went in far enough to hit the lung low, bubbles in the blood you found. Because the buck had so much trouble going up hill from the broken leg that he will turn to travel down hill for nearest water, thick cover to die. I think you can find him 100-150 yds from the last spot you saw him. Good luck on finding him tomorrow in good day light.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 12-17-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Greg44

Default Big boy

We had two other of my friends there keeping a light on him in case the deer would come down. The river from the last spot we seen him is about 400 yards away. It is possible though, but we looked down the river but not to hard thinking he went around one of the highwalls into a slip. Thank you for your help I will search the river harder Tuesday. We did push him when he was climbing up though.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM
B&C 180 Class

go to where you saw him last. Then begin doing small circles around that area- you need about 2-4 guys for this. Just start going in bigger and bigger circles with each of you rotating in a different way (clockwise/counterclock wise) Just keep getting your circles bigger and bigger and bigger until you find him.

Last edited by tator; 12-18-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Greg44

Default Big boy

Haven't tried that either but we went everywhere we thought he could be I don't think he could have went much farther, but where he was standing behind that beach tree there wasn't any blood?? If you want to see where it took place go to google earth type in Stollings wv. U will see the valley field on the left side, double click then put your mouse on 37 degrees 50'07.02" N. and 81degrees 58'17.72 W and 884 feet elevation. This is all at the bottem of the screen. That's where he was then went straight up the hill to 1001 ft elevation is the last place we seen him
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

Yep, Id say he is 200yds or less from the top of that ridge. Also look real good around dead fall,rock piles and bushs and trees with very low hanging limbs. I also had a similar thing happen and I tracked that deer over and over until I called a friend, he found it piled up in some bushs 5' from were I was takin a leak and cussin up a storm about looseing this deer. He is there. Lung blood,he aint going far
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Greg44

Default Big boy

We haven't gone straight up from where he was , thinking it would be to painful for him, but will def check that Friday. Thank you guys so much for the support and advice.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
Haven't tried that either but we went everywhere we thought he could be I don't think he could have went much farther, but where he was standing behind that beach tree there wasn't any blood??

The #1 thing I've learned about deer hunting is that when looking for a deer, he/she is almost ALWAYS in a place where you least expect it. Remember, when they are mortally wounded they are going to look for cover. Check the thick stuff- check the brush areas. If you have creeks, check the exposed roots of trees in the banks (i've found a few deer that have crawled up in the root system of trees!) DO NOT underestimate the ability of a deer. Sometimes deer can travel up to a mile or more when hit. My guess is, if you have found NO blood what so ever, then you missed him. I personally have shot at deer and they have acted like they've been hit, but they actually just "jumped" at the sound and they'll run off and there'll be no blood.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Greg44

Default Big boy

It was a def hit the muzzy and 5 inches of the arrow are still in him for sure. Bubbles where in the blood but after we saw him behind the beach tree and when he started going up there was no blood but his front leg was messed up bad and he fell 3 times trying to climb the hill, and you could tell he really didn't want to. But it rain some the next day but still I thought there would at least be some blood where he stood behind the beach tree for a while
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
B&C 180 Class

you have a dead deer man. I encourage you to go out and do your best to find him. I'm assuming the meat will be bad- unless it's below freezing there and there are no bears or coyotes around (even still I wouldn't eat it).

The best advice I can give you is DO NOT ASSUME where YOU think the deer went. Just because you saw him go up that hill doesn't mean he didn't go back down that hill after you left the area. I've heard of guys before that search and search and search only to end up finding the deer BEHIND the stand where they shot it. Do the circle thing- be patient and just keep looking. I seriously doubt he's going to be laying out in the open. Good luck to you- if I were closer I'd come help- I love the search!