bow hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Scrub Buck

Default bow hunting

hey guys... im relatively new to hunting(rifle) and ive enjoyed it so far.. im only sixteen... i was woundering how much u ppl like bow hunting opposed to say rifle or muzzloader,etc.... pros and cons, and approx. how much it would be to get started to go bow hunting (equipment bow, arrows, etc)

thx fer the replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 AM

i like bow hunting. it extends my hunting season so i can spend more time in the woods. you can get into bow hunting kinda cheap if you dont have to buy all the newest equipment. if your happy with a used bow you can get set up pretty cheap.

bow hunting is more challenging but you also feel a level of excitement you dont get with a rifle. the deer have to be closer to you though so it can be tough hunting at times.

i do not hunt exclusively with a bow. i take with me the most firepower that is legal to use.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:37 AM
B&C 180 Class

welcome to the forum and to the world of bowhunting.I love hunting with the bow.In NY bowhunting allows you to experience the whole rut and extends your time a field.The action is up close ,kills take place at 20/25/30 yards.ya get to wear full camo and climb trees,just like being a kid again
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Scrub Buck

I love bow hunting. IMO, the beauty of the turning and falling leaves, the crispness of a cool fall morning, and the challenge of getting the deer close to you cannot be compared to any other sport. Muzzleloader hunting is also a favorite of mine. It reinforces the concept of one shot one kill. While you can reach out and touch your quarry with a muzzleloader, you still have to be cognisant of your range, stand set up, and accuracy. Those are my two favorite forms of hunting.

A good ladder stand(one that has a larger platform to easily move around in) can be purchased for around $80, a new descent bow $300(as buckfever said, new is'nt always the best option), and probably around $175 in camo(depending on your local weather and weather changes, you may need to spend more to get ligher weight camo), around $90 for arrows and broad heads.

Don't worry about getting everything in one year. Get the basics, and as financials allow, slowly add to your hunting collection.
"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind." Author, Jim Slinsky
Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
B&C 120 Class

I kind of disagree with buckfever and legume because i threw my money away on hundred dollar bows cheap arrows and broadheads.this year i bought a diamond rapture by bowteck new release arrows whole set up. It ended up costing me about 700 for the whole set up. I also switched from cheap walmart broadheads and bought some sonic broadheads by buckmasters. Thats the same as cheap Treestands they are a deer's best friend most of them squeak and there not comfortable. I ran off some deer last year so I said time for a change. So i went and bought a summit viper SS. I love it and won't have another kind since i bought that stand i have seen a whole lot more deer. My oppion is if you can't afford the good stuff then use what you got and buy the good stuff when you can afford it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Hey 10 point, I too use a Summit Viper SS and I love it. Only 20 pounds, pack straps, quiet cables, quick/easy hook ups. Man it's awesome isn't it?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
B&C 180 Class

i bought a summit golith a few years back and im still using it..summit makes a fine product
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

I successfully hunt squirrels with a very cheap bow... of course deer are alot harder to bring down but they are also easier to hit... try squirrel hunting with them though, its quite the experience
Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up bowhunting

as far as bowhunting compared to rifle hunting, you will find way more satisfaction getting a deer with a bow and you will be hooked from then on. If I were you start cheap, maybe find a friend that has a bow that is already set up and used a bit or get one of the cheaper models new to start with. after you find out if it is for u then you can spend like the rest of us , it is unlimited what you can spend and invest in but its probably not wise to spend alot at first as bows really don't hold their value like a rifle. thats why I suggest to try get a used one, you can get a really nince used bow for cheap that will be as good as most of us in the field. I hope this helps you alittle and good luck, you will probably be alifer like most of us, there is nothing else like it too.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Scrub Buck

It all depends on your location and what you can and like to hunt. I love bowhunting here in washington, because we have to put in for draws to hunt Big Bull Elk, and draws to shoot does during rifle season. I like bowhunting cause i get a longer season, and I have the option to either shoot a big buck or spike (in the case of elk) or a doe or cow. I have always hunted for meat, i hunt to feed myself and my family. I like bowhunting cause i have options.
Your best bet when first starting bowhunting is get an fairly inexpensive bow to start to make sure you are going to enjoy it. and give it a few seasons as well. i would recomend a pse nova or even a martin both are not very expensive but shoot well. I recommend shooting carbon arrows, and Montec G-5 broadheads.