Big Problem - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Bow Hunting
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Big Problem

Well opening day in Oklahoma is less than a week away, figured i would stick some arrows in the target to make sure everything is spot on. Its only been 2 weeks since i shot her, drives tacks like crazy. Nock my arrow up and let it go, hits the dirt 12 inches low. Repeat, same result. My bow has been in a locked hard case, in my closet, again, only 2 weeks. So im hitting low, so i move my pins low, little change, still hitting wayy low. Then i completely bottom out the sight housing, lower my lowest pin to the bottom of the housing, aimed for the heart, and grazed the belly. I have no more adjustment left on my sights, everything is as low as it can get, and still hitting low. What in the world could cause this to happen? I moved my pins and sight a combined 3/4 " lower and im stilll hitting low. Like i said its less than a week until opening day, and ive got a real archery mystery on my hands. ANY ideas would be appreciated. By the way its a Bowtech Insanity, and a Archery Extreme 5 pin sight(Image Detail for - Archer Extreme AXT Primal X5 5 Pin .019" Sight, Black. - Bowhunters ...). The link is a picture of the sight.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 PM

you shooting a single nock? If so it probably moved on you, my guess is it went up. You can adjust the nock 1/8" at a time and see if things come back to normal. If you're shooting a d-loop then not likely. Something major changed and I'd get it to a bow shop.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

Check your nock point. That happened to me with an older bow. The two brass rings on my string slid, just a bit and I had the same problem. Do you have a nock loop or just shoot off the string?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:22 AM

also what kind of rest are you using I have had a rest move on me too but most likely like others said it sounds like a nock issue
before you move too much stuff around & really get it out of wack I agree bring it to a pro shop
This is why I shoot all year long

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

Nock has not moved, I double checked arrow still perfectly level at full draw. Yes, this is why you don't take 2 weeks off from shooting kicking my own rear right now. As far as I can't tell nothing moved, I'll take it to the shop today
Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 AM

Update when you find out what it was.
so many things can change your arrow flight rest , sight, arrows, operator, string stretch ect....

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

Ahhh...I remember those days...always wondering if I bumped my sights, or if they got tweaked while pulling up to the stand...

I'm so glad I switched to the recurve. No more worrying about that kind of crap. Obviously something got bumped out of position...the sight, knock, or the rest. Check them all out. Was the arrow flying straight? tail wagging? Unstable?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

if you're shooting a bow that has two cams or a cam and a half system, when the cams get out of time it will do that. your bottom cam would have to be hitting before your top cam. you would notice a jump in noise and some hand shock when this happens. it happened to me last year. your local archery shop should be able to fix it though.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

Well feel stupid, as suggested above the nock moved up. It was less than i could see with the bare eye, we had to put a level on the string and arrow to see it barely off. we moved the nock back down, and boom perfect! About the timing issues on 2 cam systems, is that a pretty often occurance for that to happen? Is there anywhere on the cams that you can see its out of balance?