Deer Hunting Forums banner

church devided

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
Really don't know were to start. So Ill start here and go from there. The church I have been going to for many years split today. It started many years ago before a lot of us went there. About 10 of the old members 20+ years there ruled everything. Could not keep a pastor because they would not allow him any power just preach. Well over the years more and more people came and some went. Most that went were people with kids. The older members do not want kids in the church.:crazy: And would say things to them until they left. At one time my friend and hunting buddy started a youth program and had it going pretty go with 12-16 kids. Another pastor from another church heard about what my friend was doing, so they gave us a van to pick the kids up and be able to take them to events.That lasted for about 6 months then they told us they don't want to pay insurance or maintance on the van and sold it. No more kids. So this has went on for the past few years until a few weeks ago. OK now hope I don't get lost in this or ramble on,but there are a few things that must be known to understand some things.:wallbash: So, lets start here. My friend and hunting buddy is a pastor himself, but does not preach. He also had a bad life 20+ years ago with booze, drugs and women. He gave his life to CHRIST about 10 years ago. So in my way of thinking his past has become his testimony. Well a few weeks ago the decons came to the pastor for ideas on who else he thought would make a good decon. Well he said a few names and as soon as he said my friends name they stopped him and said Oh NO he has a reputation in this town. The pastor said wait a min. we all have reputations and both of you have one also. Which is your gay and to the other you cuss and drink with the best of them when your out in the hunting woods with the boys. So now to stage 2, next post

See less See more
#2 ·
Stage 2, On the following Wednesday nite they told the pastor that in the bylaws that they were to vote on the pastor every year ' which has never been done' But don't worry about it, Its just a formality. Well he only made it by one vote. Now we found out that they held a private meeting and decided to try to vote him out on a non scheduled business meeting when they knew many would not be there. So last sunday they were called out, and let the whole church know what they had done. Then we had a recommitment prayer. This sinday the pastor read from the bible about others that had done similar type things and what happened to them. Then he said he was calling a emergency meeting and for all that were in the secret meeting to resign all there positions. None did or even said a word. Now my friend stands up and makes a motion for a vote to remove them from office and was seconded several times. They won by votes from people that were not members or said they were but could not prove it. At this point the pastor says I know were I stand with yall and I resign and walked off. followed by a very large crowd. So for now we will be meeting at the lake to have our service.

#3 ·
Wow, Hellbilly, what has happened to you and your church family is unfortunate. I can tell you though, that prayer will heal everything. God knows what's going on and He will find a way for you to regroup and come together. From what I gather, I'm guessing your church is fairly small (like mine) with less than 200 regular attendees? We average around 100-150 each Sunday. I can tell you this because I know you'll take it the right way, unless your church family is lead by the Bible there will be division. Now that said, often times when a pastor comes in and begins this, there are people who don't like it because they are used to pastors preaching to their life and changing what the Bible says to fit their needs. I once was a part of a church like that- we never joined, but it was while my wife and I were first starting out away form our hometowns. The pastor was great and really did a good job, but he NEVER covered the serious points in the Bible. Every Sunday, we left there with a "feel good" happy feeling, but sometimes you need conviction in your life to make you realize, hey, I've been doing things my way and not allowing God to work in my life.
About your friend and his testimony- everyone's past is their testimony. It just sounds like your friend's is more interesting than most. God does NOT care what your friend did 10+ years ago (as long as he has been saved and asked for forgiveness- which I'm sure he did many times). God has already forgotten about that. What is important is your friend is walking with Christ now and more importantly he is a pastor and leading others to Christ! That's awesome! We have a guy in my church who is our youth minister and he used to be an atheist. He is a walking, talking, living miracle of God's blessing of salvation!
About the Deacons. Yes, I agree with you, it was wrong of them to pass judgement, however... Deacons do have to be careful at how they select and don't select. I don't know your friend personally, but from what you have told me it sounds like he would make a fine deacon.
I know this might be hard to take, but from what I'm gathering it might have been the best thing for your church to separate. I can't imagine a church where they do not want to raise children up in God's house to become Christians. To me, that's selfish.

Good luck to you Hellbilly- remember don't get caught up in the mix of all this, do what's right, follow God's people and be someone strong others can depend on. And lastly, remember to pray about the next step!!

#4 ·
25-30 max, and that's during the winter when some of the older members come back for the winter. about a 50/50 split. 60 and up the rest 50 to late 30s. I think our youngest attending member is 36-38 yrs old. They do not like it when the pastor preachs conviction or even if he gets fired up. all they want is a pastor that will do what ever they tell him and to have a quiet service so they can sleep. Also what I think was the worst thing Ive ever seen was when we all got up and started out they clapped and cheered

#5 ·
All I can say, hellbilly, is there will be judgement day someday. The best thing to do is move on and start anew. You did the right thing because Jesus wants you to be part of a church that worships HIM, not themselves. Essentially what they are doing is changing the Bible to fit their lifestyle, which is wrong. I'm not saying they are not saved, but they are flirting with something dangerous when they do this in God's house. God's word is meant to be taken literally and the way it is found in the Bible. When we enter our own agenda into the Bible, we are essentially worshiping ourselves because we are placing ourselves before Jesus. Stay strong buddy- your church body needs you and they don't need someone to talk bad about the other "group". What they did was wrong, but it's time to move on and put that in the past. You all did the right thing by leaving even though I'm sure you don't feel like YOU all should be the ones leaving. God will reward you if you are intentional and by leaving the church to start anew because of the lack of true worship is definately intentional. Sorry for your loss and the hurt of separating God's house, but you are doing the right thing and good luck to you and your new family! Let me know if I can help at all- I'm praying for you all

#6 ·
ALSO- make sure you make it a goal to pray for the "others" that are still with the church and going down the right path. Being a true Christian means praying for others when they are lost or going down the wrong path- not gossiping about them or talking behind their back which will only drive a wedge between you all and God. Good luck brother

#7 ·
Thanks Tator. We have put our self in GODs hands and are willing to follow what ever path he has in mind for us. When we walked out of the church I felt like they were driving the nails all over again.

#10 ·
When we walked out of the church I felt like they were driving the nails all over again.
To be honest with you, you probably felt like Jesus did as he walked through the streets on the way to the cross. You felt persecuted for your beliefs and for worshiping your Heavenly Father. Trust me, you will be rewarded in heaven (if not here on earth) for what you all did. You took a stand for your beliefs and did not detour from them like the others wanted. The truth is, they will have to answer for their mistakes- but you all will be commended for standing up for God and His Son. Keep your heart clean and pure and continue to pray for the rest of the congregation that stayed put. Pray they will have a change of heart and feel the conviction of Jesus working in their hearts.

Once again, great job and stay strong!

#8 ·
Jesus talked about thinning out of true believers and false followers on many occassions. It still hurts to be a part of it. I can say that when churches have split (my inlaws church in CT) it actually strengthened the church. This happened by weeding out those that were not truly committed to Christ. Follow HIM and you can never go wrong. With every new chapter that begins in life, we have new opportunities to love others as we serve Christ.

I know this is painful to go through but it is so refreshing to read about it here, not about what happened but the awesome encouragement that followed and that we can have this type of discussion. Christ is King!

#9 ·
Jesus talked about thinning out of true believers and false followers on many occassions. It still hurts to be a part of it. I can say that when churches have split (my inlaws church in CT) it actually strengthened the church. This happened by weeding out those that were not truly committed to Christ. Follow HIM and you can never go wrong. With every new chapter that begins in life, we have new opportunities to love others as we serve Christ.

I know this is painful to go through but it is so refreshing to read about it here, not about what happened but the awesome encouragement that followed and that we can have this type of discussion. Christ is King!
AMEN and I thank you for all your uplifting words and that you really care. I will keep ya posted on how things go. I will not be here for the next 2 sundays. NC is calling my name and praying the LORD has a big buck with my name on it this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.