Deer Hunting Forums banner

you gotta read this junk

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  buckfever 
#1 ·
this is an article i ran across the other day in the tennessean. it will make you think some things you probably should not be thinking. here it goes

How is hunting considered a sport?

To the Editor:

It's that time of year again when the intrepid hunters, armed only with high-powered weapons, dogs, "cammies," tree stands, animal calls, bait, ATVs, blinds and other paraphernalia, go bravely into the woods, defying death, to face the deadly deer, the terrifying turkey, the diabolical dove, the quarrelsome quail and other ferocious animals in order to put food on their families' tables.

I truly admire these brave men, women and children who dare confront these beautiful animals, some of whom weigh as much as 150 pounds.

I am puzzled by one thing, however: Why do they refer to the hunting and killing of these animals as "sport?" And why do they refer to killing as "harvesting?" I consider sport to be when equally matched opponents square off on a field, race track, court, ice rink or some other venue to do battle. These hunted animals are hardly equally matched with those who hunt them — other than in intelligence, where the animals have a definite edge.

And then, after "harvesting" these animals, they proudly haul them along the highways in plain view of the public, with proud "look what I dun went an' kilt" looks on their faces as their dead prey's eyes glisten lifelessly at other drivers.

In my opinion, hunting will only be a sport when hunters hunt each other. I would love to see their trophy rooms then.

Gerald Hayes

Franklin 37064

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
aight its me again

I thought very hard about responding this guy but its hard to waste my time on ignorance. Plus i went back and read some of the responses he got and they did very well in defending our sport. Its very obvious he has no idea how intelligent the game we hunt is. plus he is clueless about the laws of what we are allowed to use in the state of Tennessee. And on his comment about hunters hunting each other.. all i can say is if he gave another hunter the opportunity to square off and hunt him everybody would want to see their trophy room. shoot i would even put money on that sporting event.. this dude must be a vegetarian cuz if he ever saw what happens at a slaughter house he would pass out.. his dad musta never took him hunting when he was a kid. i almost feel sorry for people that have never got to experience the enjoyment of hunting and eating what they take. its in the blood of our ancestors and us. maybe he aint from around here. ok im shuttin up so somebody else can give me their thoughts on this

See less See more
#2 ·
I read the same letter in the Tennessean and thought "Somebody just showed their ignorance". The comment about hunters hunting each other shows just how clueless some folk can be, and not only about hunting. It's like a bumper sticker I saw for a certain fellow running for office. I thought "If he don't have enough brains to know how to vote, he must not drive too well either." Nuf said!

#4 ·
We really shoulda sent a letter to the editor in reply to this guy.

Hope he spills his Starbucks on his crotch as he's cruising out of Franklin on his way to work Monday morning....

(Yes, I made some basic assumptions about him, based on his assumptions about deer hunters. I bet the closest this guy gets to nature is feeding his cat.)

#6 ·
call it what you like

call it killing call it harvesting. i dont care what people call it. its still deer hunting and i love it . it was a way of survival for every ancestor we ever had. i enjoy being in the outdoors and you better beleive if i knew where this guy lived i would throw whatever i killed on top of my truck and cruise his neighborhood till i ran out of gas.. spill coffee on his crotch :lol: thats funny..

#13 ·
you better beleive if i knew where this guy lived i would throw whatever i killed on top of my truck and cruise his neighborhood till i ran out of gas.
That is frickin hilarious! I think those guys write that stuff just for the sake of arguing and try to get our goat. They are just like them tree huggers who wipe their own butts with toilet paper and live in stick framed houses.

#7 ·
I just love well-thought out editorials...

I just love well-thought out editorials. We're so fortunate that there are civilized human-beings living in Franklin to point out the rampant blood-lust of others (especially people so crass as to ....you know...kill something).

I mean...animals are so sweet and innocent. Just think - as the deer population sky-rockets, more car accidents can occur. The Mid-western states wouldn't have to throw away all that corn and wheat .... the deer "herd" would just take care of it. No corn to have to worry about exporting to those hungry folk in other countries. Why some of those hungry people even *gasp* hunt; so I guess they deserve starvation anyway. What about their kids? Just future hunters.

And what about the cows that eat the grain that no longer exists.....wellllll... I always liked fish anway. Doh! But we can't eat fish, well - maybe we could eat the ones that die naturally. What's the life span of a mackerel anyway?

Hmmm...so where are we gonna get protein in our diet? Soybeans? Nope - that went down the same hatch as the corn. Milk and Cheese! nope - the cows all died in the previous paragraph. Eggs! Uh-oh. The deer ate the grain meant for the chickens. Maybe the tiny amount of protein in whole-grains will save us! If we all eat 20 lbs of oat-bran a day, I believe we'll make it.
And just think, we won't have to kill another deer. 'Course the massive deer starvation that comes when they over-populate will take care of that.

Ya know, hunters aren't the arch-enemy of PETA. Logic is. :bag:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.