Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Public Hunting Land
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 12:16 AM

onehorse I agree with you. Another point to make is that you're not going to learn too much hunting during gun seasons when there are a lot of hunters in the woods and the deer are running for their lives. I would suggest that bowhunting and to a lesser degree blackpowder hunting gets things up close and personal which teaches us the most about deer and their behavoirs. A few years back bowhunting I had six deer with-in 35 yds, a nice 6pt, a 4pt, a spike and three does one that was in estrus. Instead of shooting I watched as the 6pt moved into position while the 4pt and spike took out their frustrations on leaves, dirt, and small saplings. I got to watch for nearly 30 minutes as the drama worked itself out. These are the moments to learn and not kill. Knowing when to watch does looking at their back trail or when the hair on the back of the buck you are watching stands up, these are learning experiences that can only be observed from the field. Some of the greatest moments that I have ever had did not end with a kill but a fantastic learning experience when the buck won and all I could do was laugh and head back to camp.