Deer Hunting Forums banner

smokin a deer ham

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  timberghost 
#1 · (Edited)
I am smoking a deer ham today and was just curious as to if any of yall other hunters/smokers have done this?

I have it split open so it looks more like a slab of meat than a half ham. Should cut my cooking time down and allow more of the rub to come in direct contact with the meat. Hope it turns out well cuz I got company coming over to eat it. And on that note of having it split means I took the bone out.

#2 ·
i have been wanting to do that and i never got around to it.i bought some fresh applewood chunks too.let me know how it goes maybe if the weather cooperates i can fire up the smoker

#3 ·
yeah joel I am going to have to try the ham again. I need to work on my rub and get my smoking time in check. It was edible after I did some doctoring but it was not great by any means. I wrapped it in bacon and I think doing that allowed to much rub to get into the meat. It was over fruity tasting. Did not taste a bit like venison. And had zero smoke flavor. It looked good though. I took it off, removed the bacon and majority of rub, added a brown sugar and maple syrup topping and smoked it upwrapped for about another hour. That made it better.

#4 ·
I don't have a smoker But I sure been wanting to get one so I can try doing some of them Smokin' meals I hear you guys talk about , the ones that make me lick my chopps.. oh well maybe someday soon :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.