Deer Hunting Forums banner

Canada trip

9K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  thefielddude23 
#1 · (Edited)
I've started the countdown to the trip. :pickle: 4 Weeks to go. They had a late ice out this year and hopefully the water temp stays cooler than last year. The really big pike head to deep cold water and it can be a game changer if it stays cold. Anything under 68* surface temp and we stand a good chance of boating a 20+ pounder. That is the goal every year and last year we had 2- 18 lb'ders but didn't get that really nice trophy. This year is really special as my fishing buddy retires this year, I have been working with him for 38 years. This is the kind of fishing buddy that just bought a $250.00 Bass Pro deep cycle battery for my boat. That's a pretty special friend. The same father/son combo is back for their second trip. Once you try pike fishing in Canada you are hooked for a lifetime. My son cannot make the trip but has plans for next year. I've got all the gear ready and even got a new rod/reel for this and years ahead, a St Croix rod with a Lew's reel. Can't wait to try it out.

#3 ·
well his drink is someone named Jack and a cola as in Coke. :yucky: But I will come uo with something. This guy has built a yellow transformer 69 Camaro ss and a Red 67 GTO in the last 5 years and man does he do a great job. He gave his son the SS, I ask him if I could be a step son and wait in line for a toy from daddy. :lol:

#4 ·
HM what the heck did you need a battery for when we used to fish Canada we just let the Pike on the line pull us around
& Man I would love to see a pic of that Camaro the 67-69 Camaro is my dream car I don't need anything exotic like most A good ol fashion Camaro I would be in HEAVEN
OH 3 WEEKS TO GO
Good luck with those Pike I know I miss them just not the 12 hour trip

#5 ·
Ya the 14 hr trip is long especially on this old butt. I hope to make 2 trips a year when I retire, mid June and mid September are great, big fish, fishing times. This year if I net a giant I'm going to get the measurements and have a wooden one made. We never kill the big fish and to my knowledge never have. Occasionally smaller ones get hooked down deep and eagles get a treat. Really getting stoked up for the trip as if you couldn't tell. Giant Pike vs nice buck, equal value experience for me. I use 1/2oz Bass Pro Lazer Eye spinner baits with double willow leaf blades. The bigger the blades the better the strikes, lots of flash and lots of noise. Last year my biggest fish took a top water prop spinner bait coming out of the water about two feet! I'm ready to leave right now.

#6 ·
Yup nothing like a big Pike
the last year we went up we tried some jitter bugs & we hammered the big Pike we got 5-6 pike 20-25#'s & top water is so fun to see them strike

#18 ·
I am glad I put the cap on the 6.5 bed as it gives a lot more packing room. It's been a very long time since I packed a car... Maybe 1974 :ph34r: My buddy had a Gremlin Hatchback I believe, orange one. Brain cells are frying right now on that one. I get to pack for all four of us, yea!!! Buddies all drop their stuff off and I get to figure out the puzzle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.