Deer Hunting Forums banner

rifle cleaning

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  grahamh 
#1 ·
A friend of mines house just burnt down and I am trying to clean up his guns for him. They were not in the fire directly but do have a lot of smoke and soot damage. The stocks all cleaned very easily , just wiped right off but the soot is not coming off the metal. Does any know of something that will help. The guns are all in working order just need to clean them up. Thanks for any help

#3 ·
I tried some wd-40 but it acted like it almost set it up making it harder to come off. I beleave there used to be a solvent old muzzleloaders used to soak their barrels in, I can remember my dad doing it . It really cleaned them up but I can not remember the name of it.

#4 ·
One would think that soot would almost just rinse off, no expert here but I wonder if the fire with all the different chemicals in the smoke left something else on the metal. All kinds of compounds get created in fires and maybe you are dealing with a bit of a different problem. As far as how to get it off, if the standard gun products won't do it I'd get on line and try to find some help from fire damage sites. Being in the chemical industry I do know that carbons when heated will form some bonding materials which wiill stick to the first cooler surface they come in contact with ie. gun metal. I would remove the metal parts of the guns when using alot of wet products on them. Fires are a problem when all the plastics burn give off all kinds of bad things. Good luck, glad that some things were saved from the fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.