Deer Hunting Forums banner

The 6.5x55 is a sweetee...

15K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Scorpion8 
#1 ·
I was out at the range yesterday with a friend that brought his custom sporterized 6.5x55. I had never shot that calibre before and it sure didn't recoil like the 30-06s I always shoot. He was shoot factory 6.5x55s with a 139gr bullet. The groups fired by the rifle were nice, I am guessing that the velocity was around 2500-2600fps.

Karl

#4 ·
I sure made me reconsider a couple of rounds....

I never thought I would consider a rifle in 260 Rem, After shooting his mauser I would now consider getting a 260 Rem. It is just a modern version of the 6.5x55. I really liked the non existant recoil. Other than European manufacturers I don't see many new built rifles in 6.5x55.

Karl

#8 ·
I know what you mean about muzzle brakes...

I agree that some rifles really need a muzzle brake. Any 50BMG calibre must have one or I won't shoot it. But some of the other rifles that are equiped with them sure are not fun to be next to on the range. I know some of these guys are hunters and I can't imagine shooting their magnum rifles with muzzle brakes without ear protection out in the field.

Karl

#9 ·
The Remington Model 7 in .243Win/.260Rem/7mm-08Rem is just about a perfect deer rifle for 90% of the people. Anyone who feels they need a muzzle brake on a .260 Rem has never stood next to one when your buddy shoots it off. Like Karl, I can see one on a .50BMG, but for almost all the other rifles out there I thinks it's overkill. There is no recoil on a .260 Rem to speak of. If folks are that recoil sensitive, they should bow hunt.

#10 ·
My Boss's daughter didn't like the boss system.....

This last fall my Boss's daughter wanted to go Deer hunting. His brother had a cute little Browning A-bolt w/boss in 243 that she shot great. When the time came she made the shot on a nice sized doe and was proud of herself. The only negitive part was his daughter later complained that her ears were still ringing hours after the shot. In hindsight he said he never considered the fact that he should have brought ear plugs, the brake made the shot much louder. I know that I have a hearing loss as my family likes to remind me of constantly. I try to always double up when I am at the range to protect the hearing I have left.

Karl

#11 ·
It is sooooo interesting that people take cartridges known for being low recoil and think they need a muzzle brake either because of sales pressure or the latest-cool-thing. That brake functions by redirecting gases (and therefore noise) in a different direction. Guess where? Right onto the shooter next to you.

Ear plugs for a shot in the woods?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.