Deer Hunting Forums banner

rookie mistake

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to bow hunting, this will be my first year bow hunting. I've been hunting with a shotgun so I guess you can say I have some experience, but my cousins said that bow hunting is a different story. Will I just wanna know what were your rookie mistake when bow hunting? All my cousins and people I know said that their rookie mistake was shooting deer that was too far, even though they hit the deer, the deer didn't die. What was your rookie mistake? I hope to learn from you pros out there! Thanks!

#2 ·
First off I'm no pro, but my biggest mistake when I began was movement. In most cases during bow season there's usually still leaves on the trees and the forest is still green with growth which impairs visibility making it easier for deer to sneak in closer to us without us seeing them and because they're closer they do NOT miss movement not even the slightest side to side head movement, sometimes I swear they even see us blink our eyes causing them do bound off.
So that would be my big advice to a novice bow hunter, movement, don't make any unless you're absolutely sure it's safe to move without spooking deer, that includes walking to your stand, stopping along the way and when you get to your hunting spot, be wary of your movements.

Good Luck

#3 ·
My biggest mistake? More like my biggest mistakeS... First off, putting my stand too far away from the action. Take the time to scout trails that are hot and be ready to move your stand frequently.. if you have to (sometimes you don't). Secondly, movement in the stand. Since you are close to the action, you have to be on full alert. Things can happen FAST. Think about every move you make and if you truly need to make it. Also, don't get caught in an awkward position in your stand. I laid one of my legs up on the seat on a 2 person stand this past fall and it cost me a nice buck, because I was stuck, and couldn't move to get in position. Thirdly, don't forget your release. Fourth, be able to judge your distances. When you are sitting their waiting, that's the time to be thinking about which pin you'll use for each shot. Fifth, it's always easiest to draw/shoot standing up, but it can be done sitting down. Practice both and see which feels more comfortable. Sixth, DON'T FORGET YOUR RELEASE!

#4 ·
I agree with all above
Bow hunting take a LOT of practice, patience & getting in the woods scouting. You will most likely make mistakes I am no pro by any means & still get busted or don't get a shot way more then I do getting one
You will need to stay calm & if there is any doubt on making your shot. Don't take it. I will say stay in your comfort range. When I started bow hunting I would not take a shot over 30 Yards I practice shots everyday out to 70 yards As I would never take that long of a shot in the field I know I can make it count out to 50 Yards
I see so many people pick up their bow a week or two before hunting season blow the dust off it take a couple shots & go "hunting" miss or wound deer. This is so wrong. Take Bowhunting very serious so many factors can wreck your shot it isn't funny then add the excitement "Buck Fever" on top of it
We have all missed or made a bad shot heck I still do once in a while
but with practice you will minimize it Did I mention practice
Oh & don't forget your Release right Tator

#5 ·
All good tips and let me add DO NOT JUST PRACTICE ON FLAT GROUND.MAKE SURE YOU PRACTICE FROM AN ELEVATED PLATFORM LIKE YOUR SHOTS ARE GONNA BE.MAKE URSELF PRACTICE UNCOMFORTABLE SHOOTING POSITIONS AND PRACTICE BENDING AT THE WAIST.THE WORSE ROOKIE MISTAKE IS NOT PICKING A SPOT AND SHOOTING OVER A DEERS BACK FROM NOT LEARNING TO BEND FROM THE WAIST WHILE SHOOTING FROM A TREESTAND.GOOD LUCK & PRACTICE.

#6 ·
I would begin by using a range finder or measure 20 yds from your stand and put a ribbon or a false scrape to know your max distance, do not shoot beyond that range. Wounding deer happens to the very best of us and it is the worst thing to have happen to a hunter so discipline is the #1 lesson to learn. #2 patience, allow the deer to move into a position that you can make a clear shot on. You need to visualize the arrow's path through the deer making sure the shot goes through the lungs. Start with a good standing deer broadside to you, shoot for 3-4" behind the shoulder and near centered. This will give you a double lung high/low quick kill shot with a great blood trail to follow. Draw your bow when the deer's head is either down or looking away from you, center your pin on a single small spot and use a release aid for a perfect shot release. Practice with your bow concentrating on form until it becomes a natural event then start concentrating on shooting smaller groups each and every time you shoot. Don't shoot a bow that you cannot draw easy from a sitting chair position.

#9 ·
I have no problem bringing everything with me--it's once I hike the damn climber up and get nice and situated then start dropping stuff out of the tree, my release, a glove, an arrow. I hate to even tell you guys about this one, but many years ago I even knocked my bow out of the holder and yeah 20' down and "smack". That cost me a total re-alignment by a bow technician. Oh well-----:crybaby:

#12 ·
TLF
yup been there it usually happens to me just after I have Clipped & settled in pack up all your stuff unclip safety harness shimmy down the tree ( I mostly use a climber) This could be why I mostly hunt from the ground now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.