Deer Hunting Forums banner

Which deer would you shoot?

14K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Arcene 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's another question on the subject of hunting ethics that illustrates the difference between what might be legal as opposed to what might be the ethical thing to do. Here's the setup: You're hunting alone when you hear shots beng fired. A few minutes later you see deer running through the brush toward your stand. The deer don't see or smell you. You notice one is a really nice buck; the other is a spike with a broken (shot) front shoulder. From your stand, you can easily shoot either of them as they are both standing broadside at about the same distance from you. You can only shoot one as that is the limit in your state. Legally, you can shoot either. Which deer would you shoot and why?

#31 ·
Yo Huntingman. We use to do the rotating swing from days to nights but we just do straight nights or days based on senority now. We still rotate days of the weeks though. mon tues on wed thurs off fri sat sun on and then mon tues off wed thurs on fri sat sun off. We get a 3 day weekend every other week which is cool. Ive been their 8 years so far. Still in the union. Its a Bridgestone/Firestone Truck and Bus Tire plant. Hard on the body but it pays well.

#32 ·
take care of that body .I speak from experience.By the way bridgestone makes a quality tire thats what i use on my car and they come standard isue on all subarus.Keep up the good work:thumbup:

#36 ·
Hey guys its nice to hear how everyone hunts. I do tent camp in Colorado for elk but we use a propane heater. The tent is the old center pole army tent with laced-in sleeping additions.. It also uses the liner which keeps alot of the heat in. Onehorse, what kind of success rate do you have on elk, so far I'm batting a big 0 in two trips out west. I am lucky to have hunted with my dad, brother and now my 20 year old son. I started him at 8 years old and allowed him to carry a rifle at 14. I also took him on Canadian fishing trips at 8 and he has taken off to do some of his own trips now. My dad and brother also shared those fishing trips with me. All those trips I have stored in my memory for a lifetime! I wlll tell you, hooking up with a 25 lb pike 46" long is like shooting a trophy buck it just doesn't get any better than that. More stories please.

#37 ·
Hunting Man, elk hunting in Montana is pretty good. In fact, it seems to be getting better all the time. There are so many elk here that bag limits are becoming more liberal every year. It's even possible to take more than one in some areas. I've killed four (3 bulls and 1 cow) in the last 13 years. That may not sound very good, but I usually don't spend much time hunting elk, mostly deer and antelope. I probably chase elk specifically only about 3 or 4 days a season. This year I am on a list for an elk damage control hunt. so I may get a call to help rid a rancher of some pesty elk.

#38 ·
really tell ya what ill ship you 10lbs of venision for 10 lbs of elk:yes:

#39 ·
My buddy from PA is running about 50% on elk. He goes about every other year. We hunt between Vail and Eagle Colorado. Nothing like marinated elk steaks on a mesquite wood fire. I would give up all my deer meat for elk. As soon as I get my W-2's I may go one more time for elk????. There are 6 buddies going this fall. Our trip costs us around 1600.00 each its an all do it you're self hunt. We camp at 11,000 feet and for this flatlander that's pretty high.

#43 ·
I don't know of any state that allows party hunts. forget about the legalities part of it,
what kind of pride comes with tagging someone else's kill?
party hunting is not the sort of practice I would encourage anyone to participate in,
as a matter of fact it should be highly discouraged.

#44 ·
I don't know of any state that allows party hunts. forget about the legalities part of it,
what kind of pride comes with tagging someone else's kill?
party hunting is not the sort of practice I would encourage anyone to participate in,
as a matter of fact it should be highly discouraged.
Good answer Bruce, I agree. Once in a while one of our guys will cripple one, and if he determines that he will not make a speedy recovery, all of us go out and help. In that case we don't care who ends up killing the deer, we want to put the animal out of misery as quick as possible. The original shooter tags it and it is his. On 2 separate occasions I have killed deer that guys on the neighboring ground crippled and the deer ran by me. They showed up both times and both times were a little surprised when I told them to "take your deer". In both instances they were very appreciative of the help. Back to the original question, kill 'em both if you can, the original shooter will be along shortly to see what happened and you can let him claim his deer, plus make a new friend in the process.

#45 · (Edited)
i had somthing similar happen this year except there was no big buck and it wasnt just the leg it was that the jaw was blown off too. i tryed for a 250 yrd shot and missed horribly and he went and suffered. im still shooting my self in the foot for not resting my elbow on my leg. but my answer is that i wounded buck there will be more big buck to come around in the future. (unless the aztecks were predicting right:unsure:)

#46 ·
Hmmm, let's see . . . . . . Texas Parks and Wildlife rules say I can have one "trophy" and one "other" (aka spike) buck. If they're both standing broadside, and I've known bucks to freeze when I got buck fever and rushed a shot, I could probably drop them both with my Model 81 (semi-auto) in .300 Savage.

Now, if I can only choose one or t'other . . . . hmmm, now that's a dilemma to think about . . . . but I'd choose taking the wounded buck. Like most the other guys here on the forum, I don't stand for watching a buck wander around wounded. He's suffering and needs to be put out of his misery. Why not do that AND put him in the freezer, too???

RR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.