Deer Hunting Forums banner

My new Thompson Center Encore

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bigcnybucks 
#1 ·
Yep, I took the plunge....a $689 plunge into the greatest rifle I have ever shot.

I have owned and hunted with countless muzzleloaders...all Thompsons, mind you (Hawkens, Firehawks, Black Diamond.)

I bought this....

Firearm Details - Thompson/Center

I cannot rave enough.....

I shot 1" groups from the kneeling at 100yds, 1" groups from the standing at 60 and 25 yds.

Unbelievable rifle....just like shooting an MOA $2500 bolt action standard rifle. It hits so accurately that I kept laughing and laughing after every shot. I felt like the priest in Caddyshack that kept knocking every ball in the hole during the rain storm. It was near Godly...as if every shot found its way through some supernatural force to the center of the paper plates that I was shooting at.

I may never again shoot a standard rifle. I may muzzleload with this rifle for the rest of my life.

I live 20 minutes from the factory in Rochester, and never knew what magic was occurring there on a daily basis.

If anyone can cough up the bucks to own one...I highly reccomend you do it...take the plunge!

By the way, I was using a Bushnell Trophy 3X9X40mm scope. Costs about $100 brand new.

I was also using a Thompson scope base and standard Weaver rings (Quik Set.)

Also using 2 Triple 7 powder pellets (100 Grains total) and a 250 grain Thompson Shockwave sabot (the yellow ones.)

This is the load and the gun, if anyone is interested.

I am headed out tomorrow morning at 0530 for what I hope to be a good day of Maine deer hunting.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Brutha...I hope I have pics for you.

My buddy downed a 184lb 6 point this week...I've been after that same buck since I saw him during bow season. He bragged a LOT about taking my deer. Big gorgeous rack, but a mere 6 points....wide as heck. He was a nice buck. So....unless the 8 pointer that came in with him in September didn't get shot (which I believe he did...haven't seen him for at least a month) I may be taking a doe. We'll see...it's the end of the season and all meat tastes good.

Let's hope that some lost bucks roll in.....it's the peak of the rut up here, but the last weekend of peak....it's falling off...and fast.

Please Lord, just put a deer in my scope...I'll do the rest.

#5 ·
with visions of bucks chasing does in my head.Good luck tomorrow happy hunting congrats on your new friend:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.