Deer Hunting Forums banner

22 cal

11K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Kayoss212 
#1 ·
I went yesterday to Bass Pro to buy a new Mossberg 22 that looks like a camo'ed out AR. I can't remember the model but the cost was $329.99. I wanted a 22 plinker and thought it would be kinda cool. The young staffer told me he thought it was a total piece of junk and said to up grade to a SW, or Colt, or Ruger even though they didn't have a couple of the models in stock so he wasn't trying to get me to buy a higher price model. Has anyone bought one of these AR 22 cal models and what do you think of them. Also, I watched guys line up to purchase every box of ammo that had come in the night before. They are limiting ammo purchasing to 5-50 round boxes of 22 cal. I bought the last 4 in stock and that was at 10:00am. Our Gander Mountain is just now converting their store to a fully stocked firearms mega store. They use to be a general store, fishing, camping, hunting, clothing ect. The new layout is pretty impressive with every wall lined with firearms and large amounts of ammo on it's way. My kind of store. With Cabela's, Bass Pro and now Gander Mountain the Toledo area is a buyers market. :whistling:

#3 · (Edited)
well I can chime in on the Ruger SR22 Rifle & a few of you may think you know what I am going to say as I am a Huge Ruger fan But this is one I probably would not spend the extra money on & this is just me It is a great shooting .22 rifle but it is a 10/22 with a body kit. If you are looking for that AR look & have to have it
Go for it but for me I would just go get the most customizable gun on the market A regular 10/22 & build it the way you want. You can make the 10/22 to look like just about any gun out there for maybe less then half of the Sr22 price
Also HM the Ruger upper can not be changed out like you can with a standard AR
I think the Mossberg model 715T can be & not sure of the other ones
I do know the mags for the 715T are hard to find & people charging a ton for them here

#7 ·
Personally, I wouldn't say the Mossberg 715T in .22 cal. is junk considering it's only a .22
it isn't a very expensive rifle, a buddy of mine just got one brand new for $270.00 (MSRP $298.00) I haven't fired it yet but he has and says it's a fun shooter and pretty accurate for an inexpensive rifle.
The way I see it is like this, if a person is buying a .22 it's more than likely just for the ability to be able to shoot often without breaking the bank and while the Mossberg 715T does have a lot of plastic parts (For appearance purposes)
it isn't like Mossberg is trying to gouge the shooters that enjoy shooting tactical style/looking rifles by over-pricing it, not to mention I think the plastic parts can handle the recoil from the .22 cal.
I guess I'm just a practical guy when it comes to .22 rifles, I don't see a need to spend a lot of money on one.
just for the fun of it I looked to see what I could get one of the Mossberg's for through my dealer, it would be 241.99 plus tax/shipping/transfer fee's. I don't think that's a bad price at all....
Good luck on whichever one you choose HM...

#8 ·
Bruce I am with you on this & is why I would not go with the SR22
& is only my opinion just too much for a dressed up 10/22
even though the 10/22 is a very accurate & well built rifle
I would just buy the standard 10/22

#9 ·
My choice for a new 22 auto would be the Ruger Takedown

I don't know if I will end up getting one but the new Ruger takedown 22 auto sure looks like a winner to me. I really like the idea of being able to instantly break it down to clean it from the chamber area like the old Marlin 39 I have from my Dad.

Karl

#11 ·
karl the takedown is the next .22 on my list now that is a nice rifle
when I get that one I will customize my Carbine
not sure what I want to do to it
will likely go bull barrel & a archangel M4 kit

#15 ·
Sold the silver this morning an now I get to go shopping tomorrow. Not sure what 22's are here locally but we'll see. One of my operator's at work just bought one of those Mossberg plastic AR look 22's for $250.00 he'll have to pay 30.00 for the ffl transfer fee but he likes the looks and the price.

#17 · (Edited)
Well Spiker here it is, HK MP5 with 25 rd clip. I looked at the Colt m4 but both are built in Germany in same factory and the HK was 160.00 less. Looks cool and with a few add-ons will be fun to plink with. I have no toys all are serious tools ........! I also looked at the Mossberg but it did feel a bit too plastic and a little loose. The HK has some heft to it.

Attachments

#23 ·
I bought the mossberg 715t about 4 months ago. I have read all the trash on the internet about it. Let me tell you this gun has a very tight grouping pattern and I love the magazine capacity. Yeah its a cheap gun but the things I have done with it makes it perfect for me and my kids love it. Cheap to shoot. And reliable. So its plastic? I can still out shoot any handgun. I upgraded the red dot sight and made this gun a
22lr well oiled machine. I love this cheap ass gun.👍👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.