Deer Hunting Forums banner

Hunting Gear

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bigevil1 
#1 ·
I'm new to hunting (going my first time this fall) and I'm not sure what I should bring while I'm out there. I know the basics (camp, rifle, ammo, etc.) but what should I bring in a separate bag? And because I'm young (30), would it be completely unacceptable for me to bring my cell phone and/or listen to music while I'm out there? I just don't want to look like a complete moron with my friends that have been hunting for years. Thanks for the feedback.

^Matt

#2 ·
Cell phones are a must in case you have an emergency or something. Listening to music is a no no in my book. You wouldn't be able to hear any thing in the woods or you may even spook animals and give away your position. Consider a fixed position treestand or a ground blind to help with concealment of yourself. Good Luck and welcome to the DHC!!!!!

#3 ·
Cell phones are a must in case you have an emergency or something. Listening to music is a no no in my book.
Ditto. You're out there to become one with nature and allow yourself to disappear into the woods. If the music is that important or you get bored, then hunting may not be for you. You need to be able to hear the deer walking on crunchy leaves, the squirrels chittering that says something is near, and so forth.

#4 ·
whatever keeps you in the woods the longest. keep the volume really low and only use 1 earbud. when i first started my son out (he was 4) i didnt have much choice but to listen to/hear his games he was playin on my phone. pack water, snacks and somethin to pee in! books and magazines will pass the time also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.