Deer Hunting Forums banner

Stick bow?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Myxinikela 
#1 ·
does any onenuse these my dad said we'd start bowhuntin when me and my bros get a little older but what would you say bout a stick bow or should i just use a compound?

#2 ·
Unless you're willing to put in twice the practice time of a compound I would stay away from the stick bows. I had several over the years believe me they require a load of practice time not to mention extra shoulder muscles to shoot them the correct way. They will however kill anything that walks.

#3 ·
i learned on a stick bow cuz compounds werent really around.its definately different.but if your taking up archery to hunt you may want to start with a compound.although compounds are more expensive and they require more extras i believe they make it easier to hunt cuz of the let off.both are good though

#4 · (Edited)
Id stick with a compound because of the fact that, while more expensive you can get more distance. The reason being that the arrow is speeding up as it leaves the bow,thus it reaches its max.velocity somewhere down range. plus, they are easier to get proficient with. while a stickbow's max. velocity is as it leaves the bow, slowing down as it heads downrange.

#5 ·
Good stick bows will start at 600 and go up from there. Takedown recurves with custom wood run around $800.00-1000.00. I had one built by Bruin Bows and another one built by the late Jim Brackenbury, but after both shoulders went out I sold them. It takes considerable practice to be good with one. If a person wants to hunt the old way, I highly endorse that. I shot a 58 lb draw at 31" draw length. That bow would shoot 217 f/s smooth to draw quiet to shoot. I started bow hunting in the late 60's using Fred Bear stick bows, in good shape they are now collector items.

#6 ·
Progression

I started with a commercial lemonwood long bow, went to a fiber recurve when they became available. thru compound when they became available. It wasn't long before I went back to fiberglass; much lighter, much handier, not nearly as much junk to carry, and if the compound's cable snaps or the string gets cut, you're out of luck until you can get to a shop - puts a damper on the hunt. With fiber the only shooting equipment you need is the bow, a few arrows and an extra string. There is a learning curve, but not difficult to master. I really never learned archery until I built my own bow from a log. This is when I learned bow/arrow dynamics. This is when I really learned to hunt deer. I did not need a machine to do it all for me. My hunting companions think me odd, but I do get more deer. I am also nearing the end of the hunt, and like to get maximum enjoyment from what time I have left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.