Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Advice on 1st rifle
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Top line rifles, you are getting more but it costs....

It seems that there is a real big gap between the entry level rifles 300-400 dollars and the high end ones 700-900 dollars. The exeption are the Remington SPS series and the Weatherby Vangards those are running around 500 dollars with synth stocks. I myself would much rather have the Winchester 70 Featherweight or a Ruger 77 Hawkeye at around 800. These are ones that will not take a back seat to anything offered over a lifetime. Yes Custom rifles will always upstage them but the price of admission is add another thousand at least. For a new hunter/shooter your tastes may change and tieing up a ton of cash on a particular rifle might not be a good choice. That is why I recommended the Marlin. All the rifles offered for the most part will not be bad choices. I would avoid the entry level Savage axis and the Remington M710/770s. Don't be in a hurry do alot of comparisons and ask the various gunshop sales techs. Everyone will have their own idea of what the best is. Something will feel the best to you.

Karl