Deer Hunting Forums banner

acid burn

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Hellbilly 
#1 ·
found an old bottle of cleaner in the shed today and it said acid free.well I decided my rims needed a cleaning real bad,so after it i went. started on the third rim and my hand started burning got worse and worse bt the second. splashed some water on rim and headed for the house. went thru fridge until i found the bakin soda. it worked alittle. went and looked at bottle it said use vinager used it. got it to calm down abit,but still burns and hurts. fingers all puffed up,finger prints or gone and nails turned brown. checked the bottle later and guess what. sodium hydroccloride. gues what that is? yep you know it,acid free my a$$. havnt checked my rims yet. it said that when in contact with alum. it releases hydrogen gas. Point is READ all the fine print. said it will continue to break down tissue for 48hrs:wacko::wacko:

#4 ·
Working in a sulfuric acid refinery I know what acid burns can do. We've had a few very serious cases of people burned. In 1975 yours truly was burned from the knees down with 99% acid. By the time I made it to the shower my jeans were gone and my skin was falling off in the shower. Only missed 4 hours of work but was in a lot of pain for a while. We also use sodium hydroxide, caustic, it is very slippery and eats you up like acid but is at the opposite end of the ph scale. Hellbilly, one good thing, skin regenerates fairly quickly.

#5 ·
"sodium hydroxide" thats what is was. hand is doing ok.fingers tips or the worse. edges of the nails or turning darker and nails or curling up. thinking I mite loose my nails:wallbash:

#9 ·
you got that right. it felt like I had a hand full of some of the slickist grease ive ever seen and nothing would take it off. just kept on with soap,water,baking soda and vinager. 3 of my rims or clean,but man they need some crazy buffing. Im sure atleast 3 nails or gonna go. the sides or curling up, now the ends or starting to curl:bag:

#10 ·
Base Burn! Ouch - as a chemist we use Codium Hydroxide in the lab all the time. Always careful and were gloves and goggles. Strong Acids or Bases are both dangerous and destroy tissue. Baking soda probally didn't too much but the vinegar should neutralize it.

I'm praying for a speedy recovery. I lost a toe nail when I bounced a big chuck of fire wood off my bare big toe while standing on concrtete. Took nearly a year to grow back and was really tender that whole time.

#12 ·
healing up pretty good now. just tender around nails and tips. looks like maybe only 1-2 may come off. granddad always said if your gonna do dumb stuff you better be tough enough:lol:

#14 ·
Well your grandpa got that right.That was one bad judgement that will never be a mistake again. Ya know al them things grandpa told me I should have listened and not just heard,because as I get older they all seem to come full course. Also I find myself telling them to my boys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.