Deer Hunting Forums banner

Keeping warm?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  OneShotOneKill 
#1 ·
After frezzing my butt off in a deer blind this year, I'm curious about what you guys are doing to stay warm.
I bring extra socks and long johns, but still end up with froozen toes.
The little hand warmer things don't seem to work very well.
So, What are your secrets to a comfortable hunt in the COLD?

#2 ·
For me , if my feet get cold I'm done. Can't sit still time to just go, but I've started putting the small hand warmers in my boots and have not had cold toes since. I put on a pair of socks then hand warmer on top of my toes and on top of the sock ( gets too hot for me against skin) and put another thinner sock over the other and that top sock holds the heat warmer in place. ( dont like under toes, feels too funny trying to walk and I think warms better on top anyways)

#3 ·
I do the handwarmer in the boot too. Its been two seasons hear in NY that we haven't had cold weather. Its got to get below 20F to be considered cold. The sitting in the cold dosen't bother me so much. Its the get up and trying to get moving that is hard. I swear the hardest thing to do hunting is to unhook the bow or gun from the "let down" line of a treestand after sitting for 4 hours and hardly moving. That or trying to unzip and zip your fly after hardly moving for 4 hours.

#5 ·
best thing I have found for cold feet is mirino wool socks. bass pro has a pair that or great.they even have a life time replacement if you wear a hole in them. they have made my feet happy this season. Also I have a new best friend when Im hunting in a blind or in the shoot house

Attachments

#7 ·
they make feet warmers that stick to the bottom of your socks. you can't hardly feel them as you walk either. They work.
My feet getting cold doesn't affect me that much. I typically curl my toes under and that helps keep them warm. Kinda like when your hands are cold you make a fist.

#9 ·
That reminds me of a quick story. When I was in College in Pensacola Florida a buddy and me went to a local race tract for some Friday Night Racing in Jan / Feb. (I dont remember the exact time) They called the race "The snowball Derby". I wore Jeans and a fleece coat being from NY. We were in the very select minority of people not in full camo oeveralls. I guess all them southern racing ******** (a compliment not a dis:) only have camo for cool (their cold) weather.

#10 ·
The Heater Body Suit for those very frigid days. Then I also use the cold weather boot pillows that slip over your boots and keep them nice and warm. My feet never get cold with the suit because there are boot covers that go along with it too. The boot pillows are good to wear with just nornal cold weather clothing on the not too frigid, tolerable days.

#11 ·
Most of the time when I hunted in the morning, the temp would start out in the 30's or low 40's. A time or two it got down to the upper 20's. I would dress to stay warm at that temp but as the sun came up, the temp would start going up. It often got up to the 60's or even one day 70 degrees. More than once I actually had to take clothes off to keep from getting too hot.

When I hunted in the afternoon, the temp was almost always at least 50. When I bow hunt (the season opens in mid October) I usually just wore my long sleeve camoflage tee shirt with a regular tee shirt under it and camoflage pants and regular socks in my hunting boots.

I got two deer this season. The first on Dec. 10 and the second on Jan. 21.

#12 ·
cold hands and feet have become a big problem with me as I get older. I use the Bass Pro marino wool socks over a poly pro liner sock and 800 gram boots. If things are really cold say 10* I put on the 2000 gram packs. For my hands I use the 18 hr body warmers in my coat pockets with light weight gloves. It's no fun when you get cold. I've bow hunted in -30* wind chills many years ago, I don't think I could do it now although the cross bow would make it easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.