Deer Hunting Forums banner

Winter feeder for your herd

6K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Bud 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many of you run feeders from late Jan to early May?Also what do you run in them pellets or corn and if pellets what type?

#4 ·
I want what will help them get through the winter fat and healthy.Just dont think corn is the deal.I plan on after a week or so of feeding 2lbs twice a day to jump that to 5lbs or more twice a day.It is 800 acres and the herd is close to 100 does.

#5 ·
I'd also put out several bales of good quality alfalfa (spell)? every week spreading it out to keep the deer separated. 100 deer is a lot to feed. 5lbs of corn won't get it done. 100 lbs in a spreader feeder throughout your property bi-weekly might help them somewhat. I'd add a few bales in also.

#6 ·
I am waiting to here back from Purina now.The corn is only to get them use too feeding at the feeders.Plan all along has been pellets just not sure which brand.I will look into getting some alfalfa hay for them as well.I was hoping for else than $50 a week but starting to wonder.I will let you all know what the Purina rep has to say in his email reply

#7 ·
wow, $50 a week? In my opinion, that's a waste of money. I'll buy them a few sacks of whole corn at MFA for $12 a sack and that's it. $50 a week ain't happening from me. The deer here do just fine on their own. Besides, I don't want them becoming dependant on my corn or food. They're wild animals. Once again, all of this is my opinion.

Where you live?

#8 ·
Would depend on their nutrient availability and winter kill for me to decide if I would help feed. In nothern Michigan I did put out feed to help them through the winter. In PA my buddy puts out a few bales in late Jan-Feb. I can't see feeding in warm Southern states or even Tenn, KY ect ect. Late season food plots are probably more cost effective if the snow isn't too deep for the deer to paw down to. To each their own on this one, if you have the money to feed constantly heck I'd do it too!

#10 ·
I am from KCMO but the lease in in Camden county.I is worth the money if it makes the herd health and lets these acorn deer reach there true genetic potential.Of course the most for the buck is what I am looking for.Thanks for all your time and thoughts I will keep you all posted.

#12 ·
Didn't know you were a fellow MISSOURIAN! I'm in Randolph Co.

I'm like you, I want to help the herd out as much as I can as well, but I just don't have the money. I think people can do too much as well with trying to "help". I know alot of guys who visit their feeders and mineral licks on a weekly basis. The best thing to do is leave it and get out- for at least a month. let the deer grow accustomed to it. Even if they clean up the corn pile in a week- they'll keep coming back to it even though it's gone- they'll smell it. Then after a month, refresh it. I truely think that's the best thing to do.

#14 · (Edited)
We have bought 3 20lbs bags of Imperial whitetail 30.06 plus protein it is a mineral and vitamin supplement.Plan on keeping 3 mineral sites active year around.Also bought 2 150gl water tubs 1 for each feeder.I look at it this way.The guy's I run with go on guided hunts in Texas or Canada and spend 2 grand or more and might not bring home what I think I can grow for under a grand a year.Plus look at all the fun and excuses I have to run down to the property for the weekend.Its not that I dont like spending time with the wife but I sure like my weekends with out her hehehehehehe

#15 ·
I like your thinking. I am familiar with whitetail Institute products and have used them in PA food plots. You cannot grow a 300lb Canadian buck but you can ensure your deer get supplemental nutrients that will give the bucks additional minerals to achieve maximum antler growth for your area. The does will lactate better also giving the fawns a better start to life. I see no down fall to your plan unless you stop feeding and then all that happens is the deer return to what they were prior to your program. Make sure that you separate the feeders out to minimize potential saliva disease type health problems. Good luck with your plan and keep us informed how things go.

#17 ·
The main 2 minerail site that are next to feeders and water tubs are over 1/2 mile apart and still not close to to where they can been seen.Except from our property,1 mile wide and 1.5 miles long

#16 ·
Most of OK is in the third year of an extreme drought. In many places deer have had nothing green to eat since June. We are running feeders on our properties and the property of a friend. Those feeders will run until early May. i feed a variety that includes pellets, soybeans, blackeyed peas and corn. i grab sacks full of stuff from the Sealand container and it goes in the feeders. The deer like all of it.

We are having big hog troubles at one place. Got to get over there and trap some hogs.

#19 ·
We just started adding Big and J BB2 to the record rack this week.We put one 20lbs bag in 180lbs of Record Rack Golden Nuggets mixed it as we poured it in the feeder.We are doing this in both feeders.I have heard and read great things about this product.Here is a link.Oh free choice feeder are very scary to me here in Missouri because of the huge out break of EHD

Big & J BB2 Nutritional Supplement Deer Attractant | Bass Pro Shops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.