Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Rookie Deer Hunter, Lady's Bolt Action!
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM
B&C 140 Class

I checked the "lady" rifle link, and it looks fine to me, however, there are several good rifles already available that are designed for people (men or women) of smaller stature. I own a Remington Model Seven which has such a design. The rifle has a shorter length of pull than most rifles, is a little lighter in weight and balances beautifuuly with a 22 inch barrel. Mine is a 300 WSM which has a two inch longer barrel than the "standard" calibers that have a 20 inch tube. I love this gun, it is exceeding accurate, and I have shot two one inch groups with it - that wouldn't be so great at 100 yards, but these groups were fired from 300 yards! Anyway, point is there are several choices of rifles already available for those who want/need a shorter, lighter fast handling gun. (I would advise staying away from anything shorter than a 20 in. barrel as muzzle blast gets pretty severe at that length and shorter.)
On the subject of clean kills:
1. If you have been hunting with guys who don't care about that, I'd strongly suggest that you run in the opposite direction from these individuals. In fact, I would go so far to say that you should not only stop hunting with them, but also consider dropping them as friends or associates.
2. Although any ethical hunter (which apparently the guys you have mentioned are NOT) tries for a quick clean kill, be advised that in spite of how well prepared and consciencious you might be, things sometimes go wrong. Bad hits do happen for lots of reasons and you must also be prepared for this. I mention this because I wouldn't want to see you or anyone else fall apart in a case like this and not follow up on putting the animal down with the right response to such a situation. In other words, being prepared means prepared for any eventuality. Last year I had to finish an antelope that was very poorly hit by a young hunter who apparently did not know what to do to when the animal didn't drop in its tracks. It was a really sticky situation as the wounded pronghorn walked to spot which was directly between the other hunter and me. Also, it was headed for a fence which, if crossed, would put it off the ranch we had permission to hunt. I had to run out so that I was shooting back at the animal and not in line with my young friend and kill the thing before it got on the other side.
I have had situations myself where, in spite of doing everything correctly, (including hits that should have killed the animal in it's tracks but didn't), had to take a follow-up shot to get the kill. At times like these, you must have a cool head and take comfort in knowing that you had done everything the right way.
Good hunting.