Deer Hunting Forums banner

Flintlock Fun

5K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
I took the flintlock for a walk this evening.3 inches of snow.While sitting on a log I saw 9 deer pass through an open area 200 yards away.Too far for me.Tomorrow a buddy and I are taking a ground blind and setting up about 50 yards off the trail.Whether we get them or not its great fun.

#2 ·
Always great to its be out I the woods no matter what weapon of choice even if its a camera, my bow is my first myself but due love my smoke pole !!! Good luck in tomorrow. Here in ky it's only bow for the remander of the season (like14 days left) but I'm still looking for a fall bow Tom. I'm on them now I just need the time to be there !

#3 ·
Leaving friday to head to PA. They have a foot of snow. I'll hang around camp do some cooking while my buddy tries to fill his tag. Better to rehab at hunting camp than home! :yes: There are three more hunters coming from NC to join in the fun. I'll give a final year end report when I get back.

#6 ·
After nearly a year trying I finally won an e-bay auction for a TC hawken rear peep sight, it even has the front globe sight with all the inserts. I had to do something for my eyesight issues. I have a lot of trouble seeing the front and rear sights equally. The peep and globe should clear things up some and their legal in PA for late season flintlock hunting.

#7 ·
Well,I didn't get 'em last year.My buddy got two doe at long range(beyond 150 yards) with slugs from a scoped 12 guage.So we had some venison.Another friend has deer eating his soybeans.My first crack at them will come in the October muzzleloader season.I've started taking the .50 cal. flintlock to the range.I'm okay at 50 yards and will move to the 75 yard target next time.

#10 ·
I don't don't hunt the early season. I do enjoy the late season flintlock hunting. However, two of the last three seasons has had heavy snows that make flintlock hunting very difficult, but I still like it. We usually have four of us at camp and have a great time hunting the old fashion way.

#12 ·
The weather has turned nice after a 6 inch rainfall.Daytime high of 70,nighttime low around 50.Muzzleloader season opens Saturday.Tomorrow,I'm packing lunch and spending some time at the range with the flintlock.Hope this weather holds and I get lucky enough to get a deer without freezing my butt off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.