Deer Hunting Forums banner

What would you have done?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Opening day of buck season in Pa was Monday. Saw a deer at the break of daylight. I didn’t see another deer until 9. Turned out to be a really nice 8pt. Could of shot it at 150 yards but it coming right to me. He finally got to within 40 yds, so I took a neck shot and dropped him. Got out of my tree stand and walked up to it. It turned out to be the nicest buck I ever shot. I was getting ready to start to do the dirty work when I saw a hunter and his son walking up to me. It turned out that his 13 year old son shot this buck at 7. When he said they shot it, I told them the only hole I saw was the one I put in the neck. I flipped the buck over and saw the kid gut shot it and it didn’t pass through. i was shocked and the kid looked pretty shocked and upset cause he saw I finished it. The father, which my cousins knew, said it was his kids first shot at a deer. Even though I really didn’t want to give this buck away, I think I did the right thing by giving the kid his first kill since he drew blood first. What would you guys have done???

#2 ·
My first year in PA at the ripe old age of 19, I shot what would have been my first buck. A guy shot after my buck was on the ground indicated by the hole in the snow above the fallen buck claimed he shot it. I had a broadside 40 yd shot. Instead of getting into a scrap, which would have been bad for him, I walked away knowing I killed my first! I applaud you in giving the kid his first. You simply have to be content that good things happen for a reason and your's will come. The dad and son will always in the back of their mind know you gave them the buck out of a grand gesture that doesn't happen very often these days. Congrats on the fine decision! :yes: You give the whole hunting community a reason to be proud. Thanks for your post! HM

#3 ·
Wow. That's a tough one...two people shooting the same deer. I have often imagined that senario since a bunch of hunters moved in on the property next to mine, but haven't seen it yet. 13 year old boys are very perceptive and impressionable. Maybe you made a positive influence on the kid that will remind him of good ethics in the future. Good job sir! You did the right thing.

#4 ·
I think I would have done the same as you but our kind heartedness doesn't mean we would have done the right thing.
There's really no right or wrong decision, it's more of an ethical act on your part because, one way, the kid gets the deer,
the other way, you get the deer and it teaches the kid that this is what could happen with a poorly placed shot.
Not every hunter would give up a nice buck and I applaud your actions for doing so and I sure hope his dad points out to him that you didnt have to give him that deer.
Good Luck always :coffee:

#6 ·
good choice

I think you did the right thing.Now that boy is going to have a great story to tell and one day maybe pass on the good deed.One day it will come back to you.You will shoot an even bigger buck and you will think back to that happy look on that boys face when you let him take that buck home with his dad.You did two good deeds that day one for the boy and one for his dad.Hats off to you buddy.:thumbup:

#7 ·
That is tough man, but I believe you did the right thing. The kid should've made a better shot and hopefully he learned a lesson from it, but you can walk away knowing you were the better person for allowing a youngster to have that memory.

#10 ·
In PA and probably most states the hunter that drops the deer is the legal owner of that deer. In this case the youth had no legal means to tag the buck, instead he received a gift. It was a gift of most hunter's lifetime. I only hope the young hunter counts his blessings and returns the favor sometime in some way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.