Deer Hunting Forums banner

Ridges vs. Bottoms

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  flexj 
#1 ·
Without getting all dorky and technical, what are opinions on hunting ridges vs. bottoms? It seems to me deer travel ridges in the morning and bottoms in the afternoon. Now for the dorky/ technical part. I have read where the rising warmer air in the a.m. brings scent up to the deer in addition to the wind and as the cooler air sets in the p.m. brings scent down to the deer. I am no expert deer hunter, have killed several over the past several years, about 1 a year, since I really started getting into it. I tend to base my set on these more than wind direction as I have seen more deer walk with the wind than against the wind. Thoughts?

#3 ·
I would have to agree with what you said about ridges and bottoms scruggs. However, deer are very unpredictable and just like people- in a way. What one deer does, another may not do. I have seen whole herds act completely different than other herds. I have seen deer by themselves and never part of a "herd" or group. I have seen herds that move around during daylight hours and some that only move at night.
So really, in my opinion it's anyone's guess as to where they are going to move and when. But the best bet is what you are saying. Especially the bottoms at night. I do watch bottom land more closely at night than morning. They do tend to move better on it for some reason.

#4 ·
I hung some sets on ridges this year for the first time, and have had some success with them. It seems like the deer are more likely to follow the same trail consistently on ridges where in the bottom they just wander around aimlessly.

#5 ·
My son has had good luck hunting a small creek bottom. Makes a big difference whether you are hunting bucks or does and what part of fall you are hunting. Food options change for them which may change travel routes. Acorns will be on top, so for pre-rut that's where I'd be, heavy rut locate buck travel routes by rub and scrape lines. Post rut look for any quality food source and hunt there. I've never thought about an either or senerio but just tried to put the puzzle together and if the buck routes were in the bottom that's where I sat up. Scent control and wind would be my main concerns.

#6 ·
Good points HM. I'm sure you're right about the patterns changing through the year. I have always had problems in the wooded canyons around here with the wind swirling and causing problems. I think the wind patterns on the ridges have been more predictable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.