Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - AR style rifles
Thread: AR style rifles
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Use what you are most comfortable with....

It seems to be a generational thing. Being born in the late 50s I think all Deer rifles should be mounting a scope with few exceptions. Others older than I am learned and used open sights to the point where many insist on the see-through mounts so that they always have that option. I did a tour in the USAF and fired the M16 in Basic. All that was expected of me was to not shoot the drill instructor or my fellow airman. The generation of Vets coming out of the Services in the last 10-15 years are coming out of a time where we are at War. The Members in all the branches are qualified with their small arms to a level that I only dreamed about in the mid 70s when I was in Basic. I was a Range rat by choice while down at Patrict AFB in Cocoa Beach FL, I was out all the time firing my personal pistol. The Vets with Gulf War experience know the feeling of having a M16/M4 in their hands, or 2 feet away for Months on end. I would think that many will prefer to hunt with Deer calibre ARs. I am not a fan of the .223 for anything other than prairie dogs. The Greatest Generation came back from War in 1945 and traded their M1s for Remington 742s and Browning BARs. With the quality of the civilian ARs this newest Generation of Vets will not be disappointed if they choose to carry one. I used to wonder why someone would choose an AR to hunt with, now it makes complete sense to me. I would rather carry my scoped bolt action with a crisp trigger, but I am getting to be an old Dog.....

Karl