Deer Hunting Forums banner

.223ammo

7K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
I just bought a howa in .223 for hunting. I'm mostly going to be varmint and predator hunting with it but I want to take it deer hunting. Since there are an endless amount of choices for .223, I was wondering if y'all had any feed back for a good hunting round?

#5 ·
If your going to use your 223 for deer you need to use a heavier constructed bullet. While not the best it can be done. You don't need to take head shots either. Put a good shot into the heart/lung area and you should be okay. Just remember that shot placement is key. Try the federal fusions or a nosler partition and see if your rifle likes either. Keep your shots at a decent range hopefully 100 yards or less.I don't know your shooting skills but avoid a risky headshot whether its a 223 or a 30/06 etc........

#8 ·
I am a new hunter, but I have seen pictures of deer who have had people take head shots at and they just ended up hitting the jaw and not killing the deer. The deer runs off, the hunter never finds the deer, and the deer ends up dying later from starvation in agony. You can kill a deer by shooting it in it vital parts with a .223, which would be the only shots I would take IMHO.

#10 ·
The whitetail deer when have down in the south is smaller than the ones y'all have up north. They dont have to contend with the cold and dont have the extra weight. The coldest it may get down here on average is the low 30s with the occasional snow fall. I would prefer to use something bigger than the 5.56/.223 round, but it will work for the ones down here. I only have a rifle that will fire that round, but could easily convert my rifle to the 6.8 (.270) by changing out the upper receiver, but will have to live with what I have until I get the funds to purchase something like that. There have been many strides for that round. I will not hunt with anything that is not designed and tested specifically for deer. If they can get a 62 grain .223 to take down a deer, I am sure a 75 grain 5.56 could do it. Just my thoughts about it. Shot placement is the key for any round IMHO.

#11 ·
I've got to agree with Timberghost & Huntingman, the .223 caliber is a poor choice for whitetail deer and a headshot is also a bad idea.
If all you think you have is a headshot, just don't shoot until a more ethical shot presents itself.

#12 ·
I have a 243 along with many other guns in larger calipers but i love to predator that's why I got the .223 and that will be my main use for it but my buddy has land and needs to take about 20does for management reasons and that's all ill be shooting with it. And our does down here are on average 100-125lbs so I was thinking it would be fine for that.

#13 ·
Like Bruce I also agree .223 is not a good whitetail round
I am not even a fan of the .243 for deer but I would not go less then the .243 as hunters/sportsman I feel we owe it to others & the animal to make an ethical & as quick kill as possible.
have read articles that state the .223 round is adequate for deer but my $.02 I woudn't use it

#14 ·
the .243 is my favorite round. I have shot several deer with my 243 and have dropped every single one of them in their tracks. 2 years ago I shot my biggest deer ver with my 243 and dropped him in his tracks. He was 186 yds away and he field dressed 285 and my 243 smoked him. I just made my longest shot on thanksgiving with my 243, I dropped a buck in his tracks at 427 yards. It is all shot placement and i personally love the 243.

#16 ·
I agree it is shot placement & If you shoot a lot & have good equipment it can be done with a .22 but a lot of hunters don't put the time in that they should I know a lot of people who pull their bows & rifles out a week before the season & start shooting
they will be a couple inches off & say good enough & they are benching the rifle & I am assuming at 427 yards you are not free handing the rifle here in the northeast you have only a couple seconds a lot of times & shots are usually freehand no shooting sticks & thick woods so I guess maybe out west it could be ok but I can say I would not want a .223 here in NH

#17 ·
My dad and I shoot a lot year round. That's what we do to have some time together. We practice shooting in all positions and when I took my deer thanksgiving I was freehand. And I know luck had played into it but I also did my research on my scope and ammo and practice a lot at many different ranges

#18 ·
well thatis a very nice shot freehand I have taken flack for the distance I have taken deer with my bow longest shot 53 yards but I shoot pretty much all year long & out to 70 yards so I know what I & my equipment are capable of
don't take this the wrong way just asking why do you say Luck played a part?

G
#19 ·
I think I say luck played a part in it just bc I've never taken a shot that far while I was actually hunting and was kind of in awe that I was able to pull it off and and make a nice ethical Jill while my adrenaline was pumping. It was by far my best shot to date

#21 ·
The .223/5.56 is an excellent choice for deer size game. I wouldnt hesitate for 1 second on hitting the field with one in hand and going after deer. The one question I didn't see asked that may possibly have an influence on the correct answer to your question is, what is the twist rate of your rifle. most .223 chambered rifles have twist rates around the 1-12 range which is designed to stabilize lighter bullets in the 40gr to 55gr range. some 5.56 chamberings offer 1-7 to 1-9 to stabilize the heavier/longer bullets. the heavier bullets would be most suitable for the deer size game and the lighter 40 -55's left for varmint.

#22 ·
Seems like this is one area where we a have a pretty good split regarding the 223 for deer. For me, 243 is the start, but that's just me and my old hunting opinions. One thing I do know is that ammo is becoming scarce and if you do find it the costs have doubled or more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.