Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - First time hunter
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Scrub Buck

Default First time hunter

Hey guys,
I guess I had the hunting bug bite me. I am 31 and just now starting to get into hunting. I have always said I wanted to do it, but just never got around to doing it. My mother -n- law has 40 acres of land and has given me permission to go out there anytime I would like. I went out there this past friday morning with intentions of trying to call up a coyote (they have been nabbing her goats). I figured that they have already bed down for the day after an hour or two out there, so I decided to scout the land a little better. As I crossed a small creek at a couple of points I heard something not far to my left. I turned to look and about 20 yards from me was a buck. He looked right at me but since I was staying still he kept on walking. I could have shot him, but I was only carrying 55 grain .223 rounds on me and he was across the fence on someone else property, so I didnt want the risk of him running off and suffering. I saw him jump over the fence onto my property and I tracked him for about 30 minutes or so before I left. Definitely found some droppings at one point. I currently only own an AR15 which is chambered in 5.56 with a 1:7 twist, so I went out and bought some Hornaday 75 grain 5.56 BTHP bullets. I will continue to peruse this forum to get advice, but just wanted to say hello!