Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Knife handles
Thread: Knife handles
View Single Post
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 8,366

burl usually comes from stumps or knobs on the side of trees. The figure will be outstanding like rays of sunlight, star bursts ect. When you see $4000.00 double barrels they most likely will have burl walnut stocks. When i look for knife handle woods a lot of sellers advertise like: highly figured, burl, the terms a lot of times means the same thing. Sometimes you see wood described as striped, this is figure and not grain. Burl is the wood that changes like a prism when you move it around in light.
Reply With Quote