Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - The rut
Thread: The rut
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Tator, I believe that cold weather with a lot of overcast days can trigger the rut earlier by a couple days and conversely hot weather will push the rut back a couple of days. Hot days will have the main breading at night and in the coolest areas. With all that said I see the rut in Ohio and PA happening with-in two days every year. What I see most is lower buck travels in hot weather during the daylight hours. When that happens I like to re-set a stand in thick laurel thickets by the stream where things are a lot cooler. This year we had prime weather, lows right at 30* with daytime highs in the low 40's. This is perfect bow hunting temps and kept the bucks moving. Some hunters say to concentrate on where the does are feeding and the bucks will be there, maybe. I prefer to hunt buck travel routes during the rut and this has worked with our group very well. When you locate a 4-way buck travel spot, bingo, it will be there year after year. We have found one such place in PA, there are probably more but this one is magical. We take bucks there every year during the rut.