Deer Hunting Forums banner

Ground Blind Question

8K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  WhoDat 
#1 ·
I have a couple ground blinds and have used them successfully for Rifle hunting but took up Bow Hunting this year. I have a good set up I think Tucked in d=between a few cedar trees and brushed in real good about 15 yds from a hanging feeder and 30 yds from a trail on the other side. and i think there may have bee the begining of a scrape along side of that trail but am not sure... thinking i might enjoy some rut activity in this setup. question is in using the ground blind for Bow hunting should I leave the screens on and shoot through them or take them off completely opening the windows up. DO these shoot through screens affect accuracy? I know my range finder doesnt work through them? Sorry for rambling.

i HAVE ATTACHED A PICTURE OF THE gROUNDBLIND SET UP.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I would not shoot through the screens for two reasons

1. you'll ruin your screen (obviously)
2. why take a chance at having something deflect your arrow on your dream buck?

I get that but the qustion remains Why hav screens on these things because if I try to remove them for a shot the deer will hear that velcro rip apart. And what would be the recomended approach should I just leave them off and then do i need to camo my face with paint or a shroud inside the blind... oh and unfortunately i only get one buck a year in Kansas so I am Doe hunting now LOL

#4 ·
I always put my windows about half open- enough to see my sight and allow the arrow to pass as well. Make sure you wear ALL black- including on your head. I never hunt out of a blind without all black on. Also- Sit towards the rear of the blind and not right by the window. That way there are more shadows on you and your uncovered parts (i.e. eyes)

#9 ·
I always put my windows about half open- enough to see my sight and allow the arrow to pass as well. Make sure you wear ALL black- including on your head. I never hunt out of a blind without all black on. Also- Sit towards the rear of the blind and not right by the window. That way there are more shadows on you and your uncovered parts (i.e. eyes)
what he said. they say you can shoot arrows thru them and they or made for it wont bother arrow flight and have cheap replacement screens. IMO Im not going to take the chance and miss or wound a life time buck

#5 ·
you can shoot through the screens if you are using fixed blades if using expandables remove the screen
as Tator stated I remove mine as to not take a chance & I use rage 2 blades so I do not want them opening prematurely
even without the sceens a deer will have a hard time seeing you in the blind unless you are close to the windows

#6 ·
Also keep in mind, once you shoot through them, they will no longer be tight- therefore meaning it would not be a good idea to shoot through the screen again. Hence, if you shoot once and miss, it'd be hard to make a good shot at a second chance. Just a thought.

#8 ·
I only use my screens when turkey hunting, and even then I leave them out of my shooting windows. Like said most important is wearing black and staying in a back corner or wall.
Another thing to check into is if you can buy the replacement screen for the model blind your useing and cost. Might be cheep enough to go ahead n buy the spare set or you might find you can't get them and not want to tear up what ya got.
If it were me I would only shoot through a screened window if I just had no othe option and the animal just was t going to work over to a non screen window.

#10 ·
Another thing is that even though you can "see through" the screens, they still are not crystal clear and in the early or late parts of the day, they can make your view alot darker than what it really is. Also, if the sun is hitting the screen, it's next to impossible to see out of them- at least in my blind it is.

#11 ·
Thanks

Thanks Guys decision made I am hunting this set today I think ive waited long enough. I will take screens off and play halloween (paint my face with blacks and greens to hide flashes) Set is facing South so sun should not even break window in the evening hunt. Ill let you know what happens.

#13 ·
OK guys I had a nice Doe come out 10 minutes before last light. I hit her a bit further back than I wanted to I think. Then I went after her to damn quick. I followed a blood trail for a few hundred yards i would find a pool of bright red blood about the size of a saucer then some quarter size drops for awhile then another pool. I think I heard her moving up ahead of me so I woke up in a sense and backed out of the woods. I needed more light and another set of eyes any way. I came home to get a better light and my son we are heading back out in about 15 minutes. This will have given her 2 and a half hours or so to expire. its 73 degrees here so i have to find her tonight or she is wasted... Frustrated with myself I knew better than to push her like that. I let the wanning Light rush me. Ill let you know what happens. gonna be a long night

#15 ·
Found Her

Came home grabbed my son and a friend and couple spotlights gave her about 3 hrs. to expire and we went back and found her she had moved quite a bit about 150 yds from where I had previously lost her trail. she had doubled back on her trail and was lying with in 50 yds of the original location of the shot. And if that wasnt tricky enough "she" turned out to be a button Buck barley an inch of antler breaking through the skin. but still legal and still a good hunt. And i was able to try out that game hoist i just had made... it worked great.

Attachments

#20 ·
great job! nice doe you got there
funny thing Tator is much like what you spoke of in your other post this doe turned out to be a Button Buck. Still legal but not exactly in the plan need to let those bucks mature a bit and see what they become... oh well this one will become sausage when i get off work tonight. Processor opens at 3... ( i do my own in my garage)

#21 ·
Yeah it's hard to tell. Here's my thinking on them... If I see two "does" together then I always watch and see if there is a buck following behind closely. I won't shoot unless at least 10-15 minutes go by. This is ONLY during the rut of course. If no buck shows up, I start glassing even harder and trying to focus on their heads to see any dark spots where their buttons would be. If I never see a buck, and it's during the rut, my guess is they are twin button bucks and I'm going to let them walk. That happened to me Saturday night. Could've killed either one of them but decided against it b/c I didn't want to harvest a button. Now, if you see ONE "doe" by herself, I'd wait around 3-7minutes on a buck to show up and if I believe she's by herself and maybe already bred or not in estrous yet, then I'll take her.

That's just my philosophy......

#23 ·
Yeah it's hard to tell. Here's my thinking on them... If I see two "does" together then I always watch and see if there is a buck following behind closely. I won't shoot unless at least 10-15 minutes go by. This is ONLY during the rut of course. If no buck shows up, I start glassing even harder and trying to focus on their heads to see any dark spots where their buttons would be. If I never see a buck, and it's during the rut, my guess is they are twin button bucks and I'm going to let them walk. That happened to me Saturday night. Could've killed either one of them but decided against it b/c I didn't want to harvest a button. Now, if you see ONE "doe" by herself, I'd wait around 3-7minutes on a buck to show up and if I believe she's by herself and maybe already bred or not in estrous yet, then I'll take her.

That's just my philosophy......
Good Ideas. In this case he was alone and was passing through so it would have been a shoot or let walk scenario. I have a feeder up along this trail but he came from the east side and never even looked at the feeder he was just passing by. he stopped looked and ghot shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.