Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - The Potential for Ricochet Shots
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
B&C 180 Class

Whodat
with all due respect, I completely agree and like your state's youth portion laws, but they are very different from Missouri.
My point is this, having the youth portion the weekend before firearms season (Missouri holds their firearms season during the main RUT period of November) makes it unfair to all the hunters who have put in hours and hours and days of hard work and labor. That's all I'm saying. I realize it's very nice to allow kids the opportunity and YES I'll be taking my kids too even if it is the weekend before the "rut" typically begins. I like how KS does it b/c they have it in September.
I'd even be ok with it if it was 2 weekends before the firearms season. There are many hunters around here that say having the youth "open" up the season scares all the deer and spooks them too. So they're not only killing many of the giants, they are spooking everything else that's left.

Just my opinion- don't get me wrong, I think it's great that kids get to hunt and get these big bucks, but I feel bad for those guys who put in all that time and effort only to be left with nothing but 2 1/2 year old bucks and a ton of does.

Here's another thought---- I've yet to see a kid that is more happy to shoot a buck over a doe. They are ALWAYS equally happy and thrilled. Why not make the youth portion a doe-only season?

Maybe I'm wrong about this- and maybe one day I'll change my mind- it's happened before. But as of right now, I don't think it's right.