Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - The Potential for Ricochet Shots
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

Anytime!

This past weekend Missouri had the "youth portion" of deer season. This is something that I am not in favor of for many reasons. Now, before everyone gets upset with me, hear me out. I am NOT saying having a youth portion is a bad thing- I think it's great. But Missouri hosts their's the weekend before regular firearms season. To me, this is unfair to all those hunters who do not have kids, whose kids do not hunt, or kids are too young to hunt. I fall in the last category, my kids are too young to hunt.

Here's my beef. All those adults pay good money to have a food plot or work their land constantly all year long only to have the neighbor kid shoot the prize buck a weekend before. Now, granted, I realize bow season goes all the way up until firearms season, but sometimes on that mature buck, they just never come in close for a bow-kill.

To me it's not right and not fair. I believe the youth season should be the weekend AFTER the regular firearms season.

I understand them wanting kids to be able to see more deer and yes, they will DEFINITELY see deer the weekend before regular season b/c the rut is already in effect (starting phase). But what are we teaching kids? That every time you go hunting you're going to see deer? To me that's not right. We need to teach them that hunting requires patience and hard work.

Don't even get me started on how many "dad's" out there do the shooting for their son/daughter. One word, unethical.