Deer Hunting Forums banner

Breech plug issues

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kentuckyboy 
#1 ·
hey guys have a question went to clean my muzzleloader last night its a CVA Wolf nothing special but shoots well when working... pulled the breech plug and firing pin to clean both i know firing pin is not a common spot to clean but i have had issues with this sticking... i now cannot get the breech plug to thread back in i believe i may have boogered the threads a little... any idea on whether i can actually get a tap and tap this or does it have to go to a gunsmith??

#2 ·
you can get a tap and chase the threads as long as the threads are the same. but as far as cutting the threads i would not advise it. just made sure the threads are the same and you should be fine. my wolf was sticking also i pulled apart the fireing pin cleaned it and lube it up now its fine they do get dirty. hope this helps.

#3 ·
thank you that is exactly what i was thinking just wanted someone elses thoughts before i did it. i will definitely match the tap to the breech plug. yea that was my first experience with the firing pin but that will become a new part of my routine when cleaning now. thanks!

#4 ·
A thread file is best if you just need to clean up things a little. A tap WILL cut if sent in the hole if it was not the same dim. as the original tool that made the threads. I will make a guess but I figure barrel manfacturers are producing threads in a CNC lathe and not with a tap. Far more control over dimensions and better quality. Good luck....

#6 ·
deerless- yea i am sure they are using a CNC machine to cut the threads as well. i am only looking to match the size and thread pattern and chase the threads not to actually thread a barrel. a file was my first thought but due to the threads being down in the barrel about 3/4" i cannot get to the top starter thread well enoungh to straighten it out with a file which is why i decided i should try and chase the threads with a tap.

FrontierGander- thank you i was thinking that as well i have not tried to match this up yet cause i have been out of town on a job not at my shop but i will either tonight or tomorrow night when i return home.

thanks for the information guys!

#8 ·
deerless that was my main concern when first started thinking about doing this... i matched the tap up which was a 5/8X18TPI and only used it to straighten the first few threads did not chase all the way through. it seemed to work fine sighted it in after work yesterday with no issues... but the first few shots i was definitely nervous! your point was very valid. i have been a mechanic my whole life and had the tap at the house but went and got a new one just to be sure i was taking no chances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.