Deer Hunting Forums banner

Rut sign

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Kansasdoe 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed any pre rut sign going on. Here in SEMO, a few bucks have been spotted chasing does around the fields and into the woods. I have found several good scrapes and a few rubs. Things here should get real good in the next couple of weeks. I'm bowhunting in morning and should be a good day weatherwise! :yes:

#2 ·
Here in the midwest Ohio & PA will follow you. The pre-rut activity usually starts Oct 28-Nov 3 and the full rut Nov 7-11. These are the days I've observed. Seems like minus a day here or there the rut falls nearly the same every year. 30 days later will be the second rut for the does not bred during the first main rut. Last year we had a very warm spell that had most rutting taking place during the night.

#6 ·
Here in Randolph County, Missouri the bucks are still very much in bachelor groups, but they are starting to break up. This time of year is the best to be in the stand!!!

We are having unseasonably warm weather today in northern MO. I stepped outside this a.m. at 6am and it was almost 80 degrees and HUMID.

#10 ·
To be honest with you, I haven't touched my wooded area this whole summer and fall. I tend to stay out of it as much as possible. I'm a believer that this area is a sanctuary and I ONLY hunt it with rifle once or twice. Plus, this wooded area I'm talking about is approx 35 acres and has a very deep creek that runs completely around it making it hard for deer to access it all times of the year. When it rains, the deer stay out of the woods b/c they know when the creek is up, they can't get out- which we're talking about at full capacity 8+feet deep and over 20+feet across. Typically though, the creek is low with less than a foot of water in most areas.

My biggest problem with hunting this wooded area is finding a good place to hunt. There is no way to get a tractor down there to brush hog or to "clean it up". It's very thick in the summer (you can easily get lost) and there are 1,000's of trees down there. sounds bad, but if the creek wasn't there, it's be a HEAVEN of a spot to hunt!

#16 ·
To be honest with you, I haven't touched my wooded area this whole summer and fall. I tend to stay out of it as much as possible. I'm a believer that this area is a sanctuary and I ONLY hunt it with rifle once or twice. Plus, this wooded area I'm talking about is approx 35 acres and has a very deep creek that runs completely around it making it hard for deer to access it all times of the year. When it rains, the deer stay out of the woods b/c they know when the creek is up, they can't get out- which we're talking about at full capacity 8+feet deep and over 20+feet across. Typically though, the creek is low with less than a foot of water in most areas.

My biggest problem with hunting this wooded area is finding a good place to hunt. There is no way to get a tractor down there to brush hog or to "clean it up". It's very thick in the summer (you can easily get lost) and there are 1,000's of trees down there. sounds bad, but if the creek wasn't there, it's be a HEAVEN of a spot to hunt!
Build a bridge and they will come.....Ha Ha

#13 ·
The bucks are starting to here. My daughter called me yesterday and said she ran a doe out of her backyard and there was an eight point jumped into the pond and swam across to where the doe was. I guess I need to have coffee on her back porch one morning. :)

#19 ·
I'm seeing mostly chasing going on, no breeding yet. Now granted, I haven't been out a whole lot lately. Missouri usually hits the nail on the head with the rut and firearms season. Rarely are they "off" so much that you don't see activity. Our rifle season starts saturday and i'm itching SOOOOOOOO badly to get out there! :yes:

#20 ·
were scrapes seen here in NH before I left for NY
they were few in NY till midweek then they were everywhere
have not checked NH since I got back Sunday will go out this evening to check

#21 ·
I hunt the mountains in western Virginia and I've been seeing rubs and scrapes all october pretty heavily. After Hurricane Sandy came through, we had 2 days of real solid movement and the bucks were bumping does, but for the past week it has been dead. I actually witnessed a 3yr old bed down at 730 in the morning and stay there until well after noon. Should get to chasin here soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.