Deer Hunting Forums banner

need opinions on broadheads. Help!

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jeremycnwy 
#1 · (Edited)
So since I unloaded my quiver on the 5 shot doe the other day and lost 2 broadheads, I need to purchase some new ones. Anyone have any opinions on a good broadhead for a low poundage bow? I'm shooting 42 pounds and have a 23 inch draw. Yes I'm a wuss.

Opinions? Fixed blade? Mechanical? Help!

Oh and Im not planning on winging an arrow out any farther than 25 yard because I know I'm not shooting with as much speed/ kinetic energy as someone pulling back more weight and/ or has a longer draw length. I know my limits. Just thought id put that out there.

#2 ·
Personally, I think Muzzy broadheads are hands down the best broadhead on the market,
I've used too many others to try to mention them all but Muzzy's have never failed me and I'm comfortable suggesting them for you too.

If you're already using 100 grain broadheads, I would stick with that weight and use Muzzy's MX-3 blade

Good Luck

#6 ·
Personally, I think Muzzy broadheads are hands down the best broadhead on the market,
I've used too many others to try to mention them all but Muzzy's have never failed me and I'm comfortable suggesting them for you too.

If you're already using 100 grain broadheads, I would stick with that weight and use Muzzy's MX-3 blade

Good Luck
I am a new Bow Hunter with more misses than Kills on my resume. I am actually 1-2 if I were keeping track. I have only shot to types of Broadhead some Carbon Express from Wal Mart and These Muzzy's which were recomended from my cousin. The deer i killed was cut big time i actuaully took a pic of the entrance wound ill put up in a bit for you. Good broad head flie smooth.

#7 ·
I use the Rage 2 blades & never had a failure till last night Yup missed a 6 pointer shot slightly low went under & drove a boulder head on don't really care what you are shooting they are made for deer guess I was looking for some yummy stone soup LOL Have had great luck with the Rage
I know a lot of complaints on the 3 blades? never shot them honestly I believe the furthest kill (noticed I said kill) went less then 75 yards

#10 ·
Just got back tonight from Michigan bow hunting. The Muzzy MX3 broadheads preformed perfectly. Both deer were dead on their feet after double lung shots. Just to note: My buddy using the Rage 3 blade, we tracked his several hours late at night, then got back on the trail the next morning to find the buck alive and had to dispatch him. The hit was very frontal tucked tight to the left leg angled down and hit the opposite leg low. This is the same hit that he lost a buck in PA last year. These are not perfect hits but do catch the front of the lung. This buck traveled 1/2 mile before we found it the next day. We did not push it but waited 1 hr to go look for it. The Muzzy hit deer crashed down at 25 yds and 60 yds. I tried the Rage heads before and they are not for me.

#11 ·
you cant go wrong with the muzzy 3 blade. I have taken all of my bow kills with them and have never had one go out of site before going down.some were even DRT. I have tried the magnus stinger buzzcut,havent had the pleasure of sticking something with one. I was given a pack of TRU-FIRE T1 100g fixed 3 blade and did stick one with them this year. They do real good.Almost as good as a muzzy

#15 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I've got some rage 2 blades and a couple stingers in my quiver ready to go in the morning. I also found some muzzy 4 blades in the garage id forgotten about and im not sure how they compare to the 3 blades but I guess since I've got them I'll give them a try. I sure hope I have better luck than last weekend. I guess I'll get one if I just keep on trying.:yes:

#16 ·
Went to the bow shop this afternoon and picked up some new goodies. Got some nocturnal nocks and some new broadheads. They're carbon express 2 blades that the guy said he's had some youths using with really good success. For $20 ill throw them on the quiver too and give them a try. The lighted nocks were kinda pricey but if I can find my arrows later it'll be worth it.

Wish me luck!:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.