Deer Hunting Forums banner

Two Great weekend hunts

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  WhoDat 
#1 ·
Youth Season opened on Sept.8th here in Kansas. My sons and I reworked our lease the week before exactly 7 days before and I was worried that I may have messed up the youth season for my oldest son. We get in the stand at 6 am on opening morning and sure enough when the sun lit the sky a nice Doe was standing out there at 80 yards waiting for his (my sons) shot. He took his first Deer a pretty Doe at 6:36 am. Pictured below,

Fast forward 7 days and it is my 12 year olds turn to hunt we learned patience on this trip hunted all day minus the hour lunch break. Then at 7:30 pm a nice BUck walked out and my 12 year old was able to harvest his first deer . Which I am trying to decide "How" to mount I have never mounted one of mine I do Euro mounts myself but have always promised my boys I would Mount their first Bucks. So I am open to ideas here what makes a good mount???

Best two hunts of my life not ashamed to say My eyes got a little watery watching my sons responsibly and cleanly take two beautiful deer.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
congrats to both must be a proud dad
as far as a mount go's I personally like the sneak shoulder mount
maybe because that is how my first buck was positioned when I shot him & that is how he is mounted on my wall. With that said I would mount it one of 2 ways 1) mount close to the position it was when shot
2) let your boy pick out the mount
good luck & please post a pic of the mount when done
:thumbup::thumbup: two thumbs up for two nice deer

#6 ·
WhoDat- that's awesome man! Congrats to your two boys! I can not wait till I can take my kiddos hunting- they are still a little young, 4 and 1.

I was going to suggest euro mount if you wanted to do it yourself, but if you are wanting to do an actual deer mount, I would strongly suggest you to take it to a professional. Now, I realize those can be costly, but many of them will allow you to make payments on it. Most require you to put down 1/2 the money when you drop it off and the rest is due when you pick it up. I don't have that kind of money laying around at my house, so I realize that may be hard to do. Just like anything, all taxedermists are different in prices. Do a websearch and find some old timer out in the sticks that does them for 1/2 the cost as the big timers. ??

I'm just saying I wouldn't trust myself with that type of job.. I'd end up messing it all up. But maybe you are more talented in that area. Good luck to you either ways.

#9 ·
Update

Ok I found a taxidermist I am comfortable with. I decided on a pedestal mount with an offset shoulder and a semi sneak with a slight right turn. I have attached a picture of the Pedestal I will mount it on I built with my son (who killed the deer) kinda wanted him to be a part of it all since it is his. He choose the moount style and pose. it is how the deer was when he shot it. Thoughts???

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.