Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Blind Calling
Thread: Blind Calling
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 PM
B&C 180 Class

I like what BB said. I RARELY do any calling this time of year unless I've gone several days without seeing anything. That's another thing, typically I only call when there is no action and I want to see if I can stir anything up. I think the biggest mistake hunters make is they call WAY too much. Those shows you see on TV are time-lapst (sp?) so they really aren't calling every 10 seconds. Do a rattle sequence and then wait and most importantly LISTEN.
Deer are very smart, therefore if you are grunting and NO OTHER buck is grunting, you stick out like a sore thumb. Also, remember that deer have good hearing as well. you don't have to rattle as loud as you can or grunt as loud as you think you need to. Sound travels. Now, if it's windy, a little louder never hurts.

Based on my experience in North-Central Missouri---- My best bet is to find a trail they are using alot and just sit it out. I do also use estrous scents, never anything else. I don't use regular doe pee or buck pee. Many hunters don't realize that the buck pee is sometimes from superior bucks on a farm somewhere far away. Therefore, if your biggest "stud" on your farm is a 130 in 3 1/2 year old, and you are presenting a 6 1/2 year old's piss... you're going to scare the hell out of that deer- most times. It's not worth the risk to me. And with doe pee,,, what really are you after? Does? bucks aren't typically going to come running to regular doe pee smell. They may stop on a path they are walking and sniff around (checking out the girls). Another thing I use is only Code Blue b/c they use estrous scent from ONE doe, not 20 does piss mixed all up.

Remember, if deer weren't smart,, then why do they trick us so often?