Deer Hunting Forums banner

Well it's time

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
It's time to get off my backside and start getting in shape for bow season. It seems to get harder every year. Get out the old Mathews give it a check over make sure it's good for another year. Start shooting try to get up to 35 to 50 arrows a day shot. Get the exercise, which has been hard to come by this summer between work and 107* heat. Start walking a mile and try to get to three miles by end of Sept along with all the push ups and sit ups.

Time to start working up the food plots and hang the stands. Oh what a wonderful time of year.

May not sound like much but me it will be like climbing Mt Leconte.

#5 ·
at 58 I have plans to bow hunt the UP of Michigan early Oct, PA early Nov, not sure either Ohio or PA gun season and end up ML hunting Ohio and PA after Jan 1st. I don't have the get up go and as I once did but there is still some left in the tank and I hope it lasts for several more years. As I have aged I tend to enjoy the set-up/chess game of the hunt and stand time more than the kill which we all probably cycle to. I've said it before I have been very fortunate to have a great close group of family and friends to hunt and fish with, I can't put into words the enjoyment of all those years gone by! It's all about the memories: past, present and those to come. :pickle:

#6 ·
And that's what is all about. I have seen so many of my old hunting buddies drop out of the sport. It makes me wonder why I still love it so much, yes I have killed a lot of deer and some nice bucks, but it is really more than that. It is much more than the thrill of the kill, it's all the things you mentioned HM and more. The fact that we still drag our butts of a warm bed well before daylight and get out in the weather to challenge our outdoor skills is something that many people will never understand. I don't hunt just to kill, although a full freezer is a good thing, it is really all the things that come with the hunting that keeps me going. Ok I will admit it here, I'm addicted, I am a fanatic and this slight change in the temps here in TN has got me running like a buck in rut.:)

#7 ·
Buckshot you are not alone although this year I have not had the desire like I usually have. I usually shoot at least a doz. arrows everyday all year & I just started shooting every day only a few weeks ago. could be that I had to pass on the annual NY trip this year as money is a little tight & Youth weekend falls on the week i would be gone. Nothing against my hunting partners but hunting with my kids come first. Best times I have hunting is with my kids but like you said temps changing we have been in the 40's at night the last few nights & I think it lit a fire under me because now I can't wait for Sept 15th

#8 ·
Well I've got you all beat- at 32, (just had a b-day this past Mon) I haven't even touched my bow in about 5 months. With Sept 15th fastly approaching, I may only have a week or two to really fine tune my bow and myself before the season is on me. With a 4 y/o and a 1 y/o and a wife, it's hard to find time to do anything - not that I hate being with them, b/c I love being a family man. Sometimes I feel selfish when I start thinking I'd rather be out hanging stands or something else,, but each husband or daddy needs SOME time off to enjoy the outdoors.

#10 ·
well shot great last night I have found that I need to shoot only one or two arrows now but hold at full draw as long as I can my only issue from not shooting as much this year will be ready by the 15th

#11 ·
It's time to get off my backside and start getting in shape for bow season. It seems to get harder every year. .... Start walking a mile and try to get to three miles by end of Sept along with all the push ups and sit ups.
Wife and I have been doing the same thing. We use the local high school track so we can measure our progress and improvement each day. And yes, it gets harder every year....

#12 ·
While I started it to simply get back in shape, I have been working out 4-5 days a week and running/walking 2 miles a day. Dropped 20 lbs so far and I can't wait to see how much easier it will be to hike in/out, climb trees, and drag deer.

Good luck to everyone trying to shape up for season!

#13 ·
well Buckshot how is the shooting going
Really wish now I didn't take a break this year shoulder is starting to act up & only two weeks till opening day

#14 ·
Well now it is going very well. Two days into my practice and the shoulder started hurting full time. Then the elbow started and that was it. I am now the proud owner of a Parker Tomahawk cross bow. How sweet it is! Drilling dimes at 30. Can't wait for the season to start.

#15 ·
Very nice
with my injuries I probably should have got a crossbow & permit but bought the New Hoyt last year & I still love the bow in NH now if you get the crossbow permit you cannot go back to bow so I will work through it for as long as I can
Good luck w/ the crossbow

#16 ·
Good luck to you too. I am glad Tennessee got away from that rule on cross bows, there may have been a time during the deer restoration when it was valid but now they are practicly begging hunters to kill all we can so we can use cross bows in any season now.

#17 ·
Hey Dep, what do you think their reasoning is for not allowing you to use a conventional bow once you switch to a crossbow??? This makes no sense to me. Here in Illinois a crossbow could only be used by someone with a verified medical condition that would impede a person's ability to draw a conventional bow. The law was like that for years until about 2 years ago, then they changed it to allow anyone 62 and older to use an Xbow, and now just in the last few weeks they've passed a new law that allows ANYONE regardless of age the use of an Xbow, but only after the first two firearm weekends. The medical permits and the 62 or older can still use them all season. I personally think that the big insurance companies' lobbyists are behind all this, they want all the deer gone.

#18 ·
IN NH You can use a crossbow during the firearms season if you want to use a crossbow during archery you have to get a Disabled crossbow permit (all you needed was a doctors note) SO I assume it was being abused looks like it is only for one year you can go back to a bow the next year
Here is the crossbow rule section taken from the book

Crossbows​
Annual Deer Crossbow Permit​
(annual;
$5) allows the hunter to use a crossbow
during the firearms deer season only. The
hunter must have a valid firearms deer tag
and follow all Wildlife Management Unit
restrictions for deer during the firearms deer
season. Any deer taken shall be tagged with
a valid firearms deer tag.

Disabled Hunters​
Disabled Crossbow Permit​
(permanent;
$10) allows the use of crossbows during
any season where use of a bow and arrow
is allowed. This permit must be applied for
at Concord Headquarters. A current year
hunting license is required. This permit
does not include separate tags (all ages).
New for 2012, hunters holding a disabled
crossbow permit will be limited to using
only a crossbow. They are not allowed to

use a longbow, recurve or compound bow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.