Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Weatherby or Savagr
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Scrub Buck

The Savage is one of the best shooting guns out there and hands down the best in their price range. They may not be the prettiest gun out there but I prefer to shoot them than look at them. As for the caliber I would probably stay with the 06. It is a versatile round and easy to find plus its a .308 bullet so you have the widest selection of bullets of any cal out there. The only other cartridge I would look at would be the 308 win. Unless your shooting bullets over 165gr, your ballistics are virtually identical to the 06 and you get a short action. Out of my savage 10 I am shooting a 165gr hornday sst at 2770-2780fps with a clean barrel. The 257 and 280 are both great rounds and I do love the ballistics on them but I do tend to shy away from less popular rounds due to occasional availability issues. I also strongly lean to 30 cal rifles because of bullet availability for reloading. Go with the Savage and stay with the 06 unless you just want a different round and if so go with the 308