Deer Hunting Forums banner

AR style Rifle for Deer Hunting

9K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  hunt NH 
#1 ·
I am in themarket for an AR style rifle for deer hunting. I have begun looking at some different manufacturers and wanted to know opinions of my fellow hunters here, especially those that have or have shot this type of rifle.

My basic specs are .308 caliber and a left handed model - I shoot left handed.

I have looked extensively at Rock River Arms but haven't found out if they have left handed models.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
I'm a lefty myself and I shoot a right handed AR with no problems. You really do not need a left handed AR as long as you have a shell deflector, which pretty much all ARs have. The only time you'd want a left handed AR is if your rifle does not have a shell deflector or if you are running it suppressed.

If you want a 308 AR then the DPMS LR308 seems to be popular. If you want an AR that is a bit smaller/lighter then you could go with the 300 Blackout. It uses a standard 223/556 lower receiver so you could have a 5.56 upper for plinking and a 300 Blackout upper for hunting. Those 308 ARs are pretty big.

#6 ·
check out windham arms. this is the original Bushmaster company.great rifles.also there aint much differance from one to the other.there is only a few companys that makes barrels and anybody with CNC machine can make lowers.You can build one alot cheaper than you can buy one.With building your own you can have it the way you want it and not have to spend more money changing parts and assories out.You can also buy a left handed upper with out barrel for a few hun. bucks

#7 ·
Ah, the new generation. I guess a rifle is a rifle, and I'll be the first to admit that the "style" of a rifle is not anywhere near as important as the "style" of the hunter using it. I'm just too old to get into the ARs for hunting - just been using bolts for too long. I will give a couple practical criticisms of the ARs: most of the ones I've seen seem to be heavy, and those short barrels really decrease the velocity of the bullets. Anyway, good luck with your search; I hope you find what you're looking for.

#9 ·
Ah, the new generation. I guess a rifle is a rifle, ...
As an NRA and Hunter's Ed trainer, we're seeing a lot of young folks coming back from the wars that the AR is what they know, what they are familiar with, and what they are comfortable with. Not knowing the OP's personal history, but knowing that todays younger generations like what they see. The AR-platform has a solid role in many hunting situations, as long as it's not spray-and-pray when hunting. But it also is a superbly accurate rifle too. huntNH and spiker are both right in the left-hand models available. Enjoy!

#10 ·
Love my Stag Arms AR. really thinking about buying another "upper" for it with a longer heavy barrel for hunting, and other long range shots. And yes i do have an attachment to the platform from my old M4. carry a gun 24 hrs a day long enough and it becomes a part of you.

#13 ·
I hunt often with ARs. I also shoot a right handed rifle left handed. no problems. even suppressed. If you stick with mil-spec , it will have a deflector on it.

The biggest problems i have seen with the AR-10s , is that they are freakin heavy and not to many assecories. As they are not mil-spec most add ons will have to be from the manufacturer of the rifle. which means $$$$.

.223 with a Federal Fusion or a Barnes TSX will be fine for deer. Can go up to 5.56 and some heavier 75 grn bullets.

6.8 is an option but if you check ballistics not much different from 5.56 to justify the ammo cost of 6.8 spc.

the 6.5 Grendel is just outstanding. Ammo cost and magazine cost is alittle concern.

300 black out is a great new caliber. Actually all that is needed is a new barrel. Everything else on a 5.56 rifle can be used. Ammo is still alittle pricy, but should be more available soon.

#15 ·
I full understand what onehorse is saying. I too am from old school and enjoy a fine wood stocked hunting firearm, however, as the younger generation is coming into their own i see the style of the must have rifle is changing. I still want 1 AR type rifle and will get one but it will never replace my favorite hunting rifles.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice and keep it coming.

I checked out the different manufacturers that were recommended. Its great to see so many All Made in America Gun makers. I liked the Windham Arms guns - I contacted them and they said they should be offereing a .308 rifle later this year.

I'm in no hurry right now as we will be welcoming a baby boy into our family very shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.