Deer Hunting Forums banner

What's bigger?

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Karl.Luhr 
#1 ·
What is a bigger caliber and better for deer hunting? The 243 or the 22-250?

#9 ·
@Scorpion8- it is an extremely popular whitetail deer bush gun. You can also get the new Hornady ammunition. I think it's called lever revolution. Just has a higher velocity and ft pound energy.
Those LeverEvolution (not "revolution") rounds are not very good. The jacket sheds the core every time. I've used it in 30-30 and 44 mag. The two deer I shot last year was with the 44 mag LeverEvolution and I was not impressed.

#10 ·
Leverlution--Hornady tried, they were a great idea.....

I like that Hornady tried to think outside the box with the loads. I don't disagree it is obvious that they didn't perform well for you. The concept of offering more accuracy and higher velocity without high pressures was a good one. I glad that I don't have to rely on them.

Karl

#11 ·
Me neither

I like that Hornady tried to think outside the box with the loads. I don't disagree it is obvious that they didn't perform well for you. The concept of offering more accuracy and higher velocity without high pressures was a good one. I glad that I don't have to rely on them.

Karl
I personally use a 30-06 which is enough for deer without any of the new fancy technologie. :p

#12 ·
I vote for the 30-06 for any of the Deer family

I always suggest the 30-06 to anyone looking for a Deer rifle. The choice is one that almost anyone can handle without being scared to pull the trigger. I also really like the ease of reloading them. If you load standard pressure loads the brass lasts for multiple >10 reloads. Also the reloading components are easy to find.

Karl

#13 ·
I always suggest the 30-06 to anyone looking for a Deer rifle. The choice is one that almost anyone can handle without being scared to pull the trigger. I also really like the ease of reloading them. If you load standard pressure loads the brass lasts for multiple >10 reloads. Also the reloading components are easy to find.

Karl
Likewise the .308 which has so much in common with the .30-06, but can fit a shorter action and thus lighter rifle without the turn-me-off-to-shooting punishing effects of a .30-06 in a similarily light rifle. Unless you use the reduced/managed recoil loads (and then what's the point?). I find that how much gear (and how heavy) we make the new hunter carry is a big turn off to hunting at times.

#14 ·
I haven't shot the Win 88 in 308 yet but from what little I've read I need to be ready for some stout recoil. The only thing ever to bother me is the Weatherby MkV in 270WM. The kick is nasty. I've shot 444, 45-70, 375 ect ect but find the weatherby rifles not fun to shoot too much. 270 win, 30-06 recoil is pretty tame in my opinion and know it's all about weight/fit.

#15 ·
The Win 88 and rifles with recoil issues

I haven't shot one of the Win 88 lever actions, but I did shoot my Dad's Remington 742 in 30-06. That rifle taught me alot about recoil. My Dad's rifle has a steel buttplate and it wasn't fun shooting it. I would bet that if Winchester 88's kick it is more of a factor of stock design(bad one) than actual recoil. Shooting a 30-06 in a bolt action with a good stock design is pretty easy as long as it isn't an ultra light. My Brother in law could have chosen any rifle he wanted, I was buying it for him. He wanted a Ruger Model 77RL ultra light in 30-06. That rifle is a real joy to carry in the woods and only weighed 6 pounds prior the scope and sling going on. The problem is that it isn't any fun to shoot at the range bench unless you wear a Past recoil shield on your shoulder. Atleast that is what my Brother in law does at the range. I haven't tried the recoil shield but I have shot his Ruger without one, not much fun. We wanted to standardize on the 30-06 cartridge for both of us. Chambering it in 308 Win would have reduced the recoil force on the Ultra light.

Karl

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.