Deer Hunting Forums banner

turkey hunting

18K views 78 replies 10 participants last post by  jberre 
#1 ·
well went out turkey hunting this morning and wasn't long after I found a good tree to sit next to that I called in 3 toms. They came from in front of me so they were in full view the entire time. They came up and decided to venture to my left away from me, I had them at about 60 yds, but just didn't want to take that shot for obvious reasons.
After I passed them up, my neighbor behind me started doing some AWESOME hen calling (THanks NEIGHBOR!) and the toms stuck around a while longer, but were now about 150 yds away. I snuck out and around the toms and decided to circle the field they were in and come up a draw on the other side of them. By that time it started down pouring on me and I got absolutely soaked. It was COLD rain too. Anyways, toms shut up and didn't make a peep after the rain picked up. After seeing an AWESOME lightening show I decided to call it a day. Still raining at this very minute, and just now starting to feel my hands again! hahaha
Haven't been turkey hunting very long, but it's definately exciting. Don't think I'm as "IN LOVE" with it as DEER though...

#60 ·
GOOD bird onf!! Didn't go this morning b/c of the wind. We had rainy conditions all weekend long here in Missouri and FINALLY today it was supposed to stop. The wind gusts were up to 35-40mph! Crazy. Plus, I didn't have time to go out scouting them this weekend to find where exactly they were roosting- I had a good idea, but wasn't 100% sure. Planning on going out wednesday morning for sure.

I did drive by my hunting place and saw about 10 hens out in the bottom and two strutting toms... they were HUGE. I now wish I had gone out anyways this morning,,,, but it would've been hard to call them in and plus to know exactly where they were at.

#61 · (Edited)
You shoulda went tator !! We had 20 mph winds all day yesterday and night and today. I went was in at 5 and started raining at 5:30 and didn't stop till around 8. Then at 8:30 the birds hit the field. I busted another Tom, he was 20lbs 9 oz, 10 1/2" beard, 7/8" spurs. Will edit pic's in to this post too after I get them to the home putter.
That finnished out my Kentucky spring turkey season ( two bird bag limit) now I'm gonna spend the rest of the season helping to put my dad and a friend on some birds.

Attachments

#62 ·
Well i decided late last night that I was going out this morning. It was a beautiful, crisp 40 degree morning and was an absolute enjoyment to be out there hunting.... but no bird to brag about. They did the ol' switch-a-roo on me with their roosting spot. Heard plenty of gobbling but it was over 300 yds away... I have an over-abundance of hens right now, so the toms aren't sounding off as good as they should b/c all the hens are smothering them already.
Anyways, I had fun, and found where they are roosting now... probably will go out Thursday or Friday morning again...

#67 ·
Dumb question for you guys who are turkey fanatics.... I'm going out hunting in the morning, but I'm going to go try to roost them tonight to see where they're at. I have a pretty good idea.... My question is, what time of day do they typically roost? An hour before sun down? Dusk? right at dark?

#68 ·
that last hour and a half of light they will all be headed back to roost, they will be in the trees before dark. if your hunting on a roost in the afternoon you should sit till after dark to leave because they can still see you and you can compromise your set up position. if your not on a roost your safe to leave out 30 mins before dark caz most likely the birds are alreay in the roost or so close youll have no issues and in the mornings they usualy will stay in the roost till they can see great again, i go by my eyes, when i can look across a field and able to see 100 yards ok then the birds are coming down.

#70 ·
Well decided to sleep in Saturday morning (i know, I know)... then Sunday morning my wife left for a conference for 3 days so had to take care of the kids.... I will prob be going out again on Wed morning.
I went and tried to see them roost on Fri evening, but I think I got there too late. I got there about 30 min till dark. I did see what I thought was one hen, but it was over 500 yds away - BUT it was where I thought they were going to be. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#72 ·
Nope, I sure didn't... I did have a few exciting hunts though, just no bird. The bad thing about it is on the first morning of season, I decided to NOT go out b/c it was about 40+ mph winds and I didn't know where they were roosted. Well on my way to work that same morning, I saw over 20 birds out there in the bottom I would have been sitting next to (and within shooting range) and two VERY LARGE gobblers in full strut. That's my luck. LOL

I'm not going to give up on it though. I've been really busy this spring working with my other birds- chickens. Got their coop about 75% done this past weekend and ready to get them in it this next weekend.

#73 ·
Sorry to hear that Tator
is your season over?
I have 2 1/2 weeks to try & get my youngest a bird she is having some bad luck getting birds in but something always seems to go wrong. Last weekend we were so close but two fawns came in to the decoys & started sniffing them & the Turkeys took off this is how her season is going so your not alone

#75 ·
Yeah our season ended last sunday. I'm just not a bonified turkey man yet... I have TONS of friends who tell me they love it more than deer hunting and I find that hard to believe. We'll see once I bag that first turkey ever! lol

#74 ·
Here in NY there seems to be a huge decrease in the Turkey population. I am making this observation from the number of gobbles in my hunting area but more importantly on the number of turkeys seen from the roads. Last spring was really wet which proabally limited last years recruiment but we also had a nonexistent winter so there should't have been as much winter loss.

Any fellow NY's have any observations of your own - this coming from chenango and broomw county.

#77 ·
Here in NY there seems to be a huge decrease in the Turkey population. I am making this observation from the number of gobbles in my hunting area but more importantly on the number of turkeys seen from the roads. Last spring was really wet which proabally limited last years recruiment but we also had a nonexistent winter so there should't have been as much winter loss.

Any fellow NY's have any observations of your own - this coming from chenango and broomw county.
Having the same problem here in WNY and I heard the same about the wet spring deal. I am noticing a whole lot less activity. I too figured the mild winter would spike a turkey population.

#76 ·
Well I started turkey hunting about 5 years ago & have been deer hunting since I was 16 you can do the math on that one
I have to agree to a point I think turkey hunting is a lot more exciting
but deer taste a ton better

#79 ·
We just moved to the white mountains of Arizona and there are about 5 toms that spend their time in a neighbors yard at the end of the lane. Beautiful birds, but the neighbors may be a little angry if one didn't show up for a while. I'll have to go to the mountain.

Good Luck Everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.