Deer Hunting Forums banner

archery class

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Chip Cochran 
#1 ·
Hubby and I took an archery class today. Our 1 hour lesson turned into almost 2. We learned a lot and now it's gonna be practice, practice, practice. Had to get a new release ordered too. Turns out mine was to big
Now I've got two setting around that don't fit me.

#4 ·
don't over shoot
blew out my shoulder 2 years ago & I am still trying to get my strength back. it is more important to shoot less & be accurate I love shooting my bow more then shooting any of my guns & it is hard to limit myself but I almost had to sit out a season so now I limit myself to 1-2 dozen arrows & can shoot everyday good luck

#5 ·
Do not just fling arrows it is the worse archery habit you can develop.Instead shoot 20 arrows the right way totally immersed in aiming and with good form,practice does not make perfect,PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.Shooting a 100 arrows your mind is accepting bad shots,train your mind to only want to shoot good archery shots.One right arrow at a time.

#15 · (Edited)
Its supposed to be 100 with perfect form or they don't count. I'm breaking it up and doing groups of 25 so I don't become tired.
Your instructor is working your shooting muscle groups to strengthen them. You might find it even better to shoot in groups of ten shots. Striving for perfection is not an easy thing when your trying to do it 25 times in a row right off the bat. I shoot field and target competitions, I practice in ten arrow groups it keeps my focus high and I don't tire and get sloppy that way. My coach checks every detail when we are working on things.

#9 ·
Sorry i didnt see the instructor part.He is absolutly correct he is establishing your muscles and building form without worrying about aiming.You cant learn anything on a bow while shooting at a target.I commend you for learning from an instructor your gonna be free of most bad habits archers develop.Good luck.I also suggest some learning material from Len Cardinal in my opinion the best archery instuctor there is.

#11 ·
I've got a weak shoulder but the way he showed me how to shoot actually pulls more across my back and the sore/weak spot bothers me less than what I was doing. He turned my bow down so it would be easier to practice as much as I need to. Also the release that I ordered should make it easier for me to pull back. Today was day 5. I've got 16 days left till I can add something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.