Deer Hunting Forums banner

Quick Question?

5K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  tomlightfield 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a new Remington 870 20 gauge for deer hunting and Im gonna put a scope on it. Are the scope mounts for a 12 gauge and 20 gauge the same for the 870 or not?

And what is the best scope mount for an 870?

#4 ·
SG, good advice from both HM and Bruce, but I'm assuming you already have a rifled slug barrel for this gun?? If not and you need to buy a slug barrel, I would recommend a fully rifled cantilever scope mount barrel. That way you have a barrel with a permanently attached scope that you can remove without upsetting your point of impact, allowing you to use the gun for other types of hunting. Otherwise, the saddle type mount that Bruce suggested is the way to go. There is a company called B-Square that makes a really nice saddle mount, but it comes with a good set of rings also for $50 total. I've put 3 of these units on guns for other guys and they all like the way they are shooting. If you need more help, post again with a little more info like what barrel you are going to use, and I'm sure we could help with slug recommendation, etc.

#7 ·
Yes, I do have a rifled slug barrel. As for slugs, Hornady SST is what I have been shooting out of the 12 gauge I have.

As for the scope, Im going witha 2-7x33 scope. Need to pickup scope rings now for it also.
SG, Leupold has a set of rings called "Rifleman" series, they come in low, medium, and high and are $20/set, you can order them from Gander Mountain and their shipping is always free. They are by far the best rings I have found for that kind of money. I mounted 2 scopes on 2 870's last year with them for a b-in-law and his son and they are nice rings. If you are using a saddle mount be careful not to overtighten the mounting screws through the receiver, the action will bind up if you overdo it, and a dab of medium strength LocTite on ALL THREADS. Not trying to be a know-it-all, just been through this stuff a hundred times. And good choice of slugs, Hornady SST's are super accurate and kill well!!

#11 ·
Now that I think about it the B-Square will already increase the scope above the barrel so I would try the low base. Weaver products are not very high priced and will hold things solidly. A 33 mm obj lens normally works well with low bases on rifles. You want your face down snugly on the stock so a low mount will give you the best face placement.

#12 ·
SG, the B-Square mount comes with a set of low base Weaver style rings, look on Amazon, you'll see an outfit called Grand Slam Sports that sells it for $37.62 plus $8.54? I think for shipping, puts you at a few cents over $46. Good price, Cabelas is $50 plus shipping and if there is a Cab's in your state tax on top of that. Watch out for the other mounts you'll see that say B-Square that are way cheaper, I think they are imitations 'cause they come with see-thru rings, B-Square units do not come with see-thru rings. Hope this helps.
Tom L

#14 · (Edited)
Yep, they should be fine with the 2x-7x 33mm scope you are talking about getting. Matter of fact, I changed out a buddy's 870 before this past hunting season from a B-Square mount to a cantilevered slug barrel and used the low base rings from the B-Square unit with a 3x-9x 40mm scope and there was still plenty of clearance, so yes they will be fine.

#18 · (Edited)
My answer is ABSOLUTELY. I'm sure there will be some other opinions about that, but if you research this question you'll find what I did, there is no clear cut evidence that a "rifle" scope will not take the recoil of a shotgun. My evidence is that I've had the same rifle scope on my 870 for 17 years and had no issues, and my scope is 42 years old(yes 42 years, I bought it in 1969!) I had it on a rifle and then put it on my 870 in 1995. The main difference between shotgun and rifle is the eye relief, about 3" for rifle and about 6" for shotgun. And I put 2 Nikon Prostaff's (both 2x-7x 32mm) one on my b-in-law's Savage 220 and one on a T/C Triumph that shoots 150gr loads and both are still fine. So, that's what I can tell you, except that there is not a better scope in that price range than the Nikon Prostaff. Hope this helps.
PS: I've killed deer as far as 204 yds. and whacked a coyote this past season at 246 yds with my 870 rig, so I'd say it works pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.