Deer Hunting Forums banner

Trail Monitoring System

7K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  BukSeker 
#1 ·
Anybody tried those trail monitoring system that let you know if a deer is coming your way via a reciever that clips your belt. The only reason I ask is because I'm new to hunting and just recently had my first hunt in a pop up ground blind and loved it other than a few things. Where I hunt and will be hunting in the future there is a hill about 30yrds to the south, very thick tree/brush line to the west about 10 yrds away, there is field about 75yrds to the east and a road about 80 yrds to the north. So needless to say I don't have much notice if one is coming my way. I will not hunt in a stand due to a death of a close friend who fell out of one during bow season. Where I'm setup I really depend on sound to here if something is coming my way, and with the wind and the propane heater going it's tough to hear every little foot step. so I saw one of these in Cabelas and thought that would be a good way to know what direction a deer is going so I constantly don't have to keep looking all the over the place and scanning 360 degrees every second.

#2 ·
I've never heard of that but it sounds pretty cool, high tech but cool. So this device, does it alert you of an animal approaching from any/all directions or what? If it is something to bring positive vibes to your hunting experience then go for it. You did say that you don't have much notice if one is coming your way. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your close friend.

#4 ·
I appreciate your thoughts. The system works like this, you have a reciever that you keep on yourself and then there 3 transmitters that the kit comes with. You attach the transmitters to a tree in several locations and if something crosses the signal it will alert you what zone is being triggered, I assume it works similar to those home systems that lets you know if someone is coming up your driveway. According to the kit it will recieve a signal from 500 ft or more. I've seen it on Cabelas for $180 and on ebay for $49.99(different brand). If there is one thing I've learned in my almost 30 years is, you get what pay for. I think I might order one and test it around the yard and see if actually will provide lead time to game coming. Once I try it out I'll let you guys know how it works.

#3 ·
new toys ,why not

#6 ·
i suppose it could work ya might get a lot of false alarms from birds the wind etc but hey if it makes ya feel good while hunting and keeps ya out there ya stand a better chance whats 50$ in the overall picture anyway

#7 ·
Ya I thought about the false alarms but atleast it will keep my anticipation going. I think that is what I loved most about my first hunt this year, everytime I heard a noise I about crapped myself with excitment thinking a deer was trottin' thru. Just the anticipation alone could keep me out in the blind all day, I don't know if thats a rookie thing or if that feeling never goes away.

#9 ·
thats part of the thrill

#12 ·
I agree with the post above especialy if you are huntting in a ground blind not only do you alert them with sound but the fumes from the propane alert them also. those little "hot handz" work wonders they probibly will not keep you toasty warm but they will take the bite off and they are super cheap at lowes and wal-mart!

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice on not using a heater, I was wondering if the fumes would be an issue. This was my first time deer hunting ever, so my father law was up at camp early to set all my stuff up and when I got there he showed me to my blind cranked the heater and took off so I didn't get many tips to start off with. It was around 35 to 40 degrees when I was out there and the pop up blind did a great job keeping me decently warm, I just figured using the heater is what hunters use to stay warm. Next year I will not be using one, once again thanks for the useful info!

#15 ·
With as little knowledge I had on my first deer hunt I might as well have been on fire running thru the woods with bells on. Like I said earlier I really had no tips to go on other than don't move and don't make a peep and shoot if it has antlers. With all I've been learning the past couple weeks since I've been back I now know why my father in law put me way at the other end of his property as to not ruin his chances of a good deer. However from what I'm gathering you can only learn so much from research the rest will have to come with experience in the woods.

#17 ·
i have the same breed of squirrles around my stand. it's like they are doing it on purpose to get you all pumped up just to get to see you face when they hop around that tree. i put a scope on them sometimes to to have the satisfactioin of mentaly pulling the trigger and knowing i could have an instant squirrel burger if i wanted too.

#19 ·
actually coleman makes a portable heater called the power cat that is safe to use in a tent or blind it uses ceramic and other componets to get hot but not start fires and i dont really notice any smell i got one for 25$ at walmart its good for the tent and i figure ice fishing:biggrin:

#20 ·
Thats actually the heater I was using. It still a little noisey, but I really coudln't smell any fumes except when I first lit it. I don't think theres much of a fire hazard where I had it on the ground there was tall grass all around it and not one issue. I think next year I will go without it mostly for the noise issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.